Timbers Record 1-1 Draw on the Road against San Jose Earthquakes
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The Portland Timbers recorded a 1-1 draw on the road against the San Jose Earthquakes at Earthquakes Stadium on Wednesday night. Yimmi Chara tallied his first career goal for the Timbers, while Diego Chara added the assist on the play.
Diego Chara assisted on Yimmi's goal, which made the Chara brothers the fifth set of brothers in MLS history to combine for a goal. They join Chris and Sean Henderson, Alex and Cristian Roldan, Bradley and Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jamar and DaMarcus Beasley. The goal was Yimmi Chara's first for the Timbers. The assist was Diego Chara's first of the 2020 campaign and the 20th of his career with Portland. Diego Chara is the ninth player in the club's all-eras history to record 20 or more assists.
POR - Yimmi Chara (Diego Chara), 33rd minute: Against the run of play, Diego Chara collected the ball near midfield and played a side-footed ball into space for Yimmi Chara making a run down the left side of the field. Chara dribbled past his defender into the box and fired the ball over the goalkeeper into the net.
SJ - Vako, 76th minute: Chris Wondolowski headed the ball down to Vako running into the box and he converted near the goal line.
Diego Chara recorded the assist on his brother's goal, which made the Chara brothers the fifth set of brothers in MLS history to combine for a goal. They join Chris and Sean Henderson, Alex and Cristian Roldan, Bradley and Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jamar and DeMarcus Beasley.
Yimmi Chara recorded his first career goal with the Timbers. He is the eighth player to score a goal for Portland during the 2020 regular season. He is also the 61st player to score a goal for the Timbers in MLS regular-season play.
Diego Chara notched his first assist of the regular season. Chara is the 12th player to record an assist for Portland this season.
Diego Chara recorded his 20th career assist in the match. He is the ninth player in the club's all-eras history to record 20 or more assists.
Steve Clark made his 150th career MLS appearance in the match, making a season-high five saves.
Bill Tuiloma blocked four shots in the match, which is tied for the second-most blocks by a Timbers player ever. Only Nat Borchers has had more blocks in a single match for Portland.
The Timbers are 11-5-8 against the Earthquakes in MLS play. Their 41 points against San Jose are the most points Portland has against a single opponent.
Playing the second of back-to-back road matches against San Jose, the Timbers return to Earthquakes Stadium for a match on Saturday, Sept. 19; kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. (Pacific). The Sept. 19 match features a local television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS with local radio broadcast on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
San Jose Earthquakes (2-4-5, 11pts) vs. Portland Timbers (4-4-3, 15pts)
Sept. 16, 2020 - Earthquakes Stadium (San Jose, Calif.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
San Jose Earthquakes 0 1 1
Portland Timbers 1 0 1
POR: Y. Chara (D. Chara), 33
SJ: Vako, 76
POR: Zuparic (caution), 84
POR: Paredes (caution) 85
SJ: Yueill (caution) 90+1
POR: GK Clark, D Bonilla, D Tuiloma, D Zuparic, D Farfan, M Polo, M D. Chara ©, M Williamson (Paredes, 64), F Mora (Ebobisse, 64), F Niezgoda (Conechny, 81), M Y. Chara (LorÃa, 64)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Cascante, D Villafaña, M Valeri, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 6 (Y. Chara, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Y. Chara, Niezgoda, 1); FOULS: 16 (D. Chara, 4); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 5
SJ: GK Marcinkowski, D Akanyirige (Wondolowski, 69), D Jungwirth, D AlanÃs (Salinas, 46), D LÃ³pez, M Marie (Thompson, 46), M Espinoza (Cowell, 69), M Judson, M Yueill ©, M Vako, F RÃos (Fierro, 69)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Vega, D Beason, M Calvillo, M Fernandes
TOTAL SHOTS: 19 (Vako, 8); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Vako, 2); FOULS: 12 (Judson, 3); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 2
Referee: Alex Chilowicz
Assistant Referees: TJ Zablocki, Diego Blas
Fourth Official: Michael Radchuk
VAR: Fotis Bazakos
Weather: Clear, 77 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 17, 2020
- Climbing the Ranks: How Tah Brian Anunga Gave Nashville SC Midfield a Boost in First MLS Season - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 19, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Storylines: Keeping the Streak Alive - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls Welcome FC Cincinnati Back to Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami to Visit Atlanta United FC on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Trades Adrian Zendejas to Minnesota United FC - Nashville SC
- MNUFC Acquire Goalkeeper Adrian Zendejas from Nashville Sc - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Brad Smith - Seattle Sounders FC
- Major League Soccer, Black Players for Change and MLS Players Association Team up to Launch MLS Unites to Vote - MLS
- AMB Sports and Entertainment Partners with When We All Vote and Wondaland for Fuel the Vote and Wondalunch Event September 26 - Atlanta United FC
- New York City FC Announces Youth-Led Voting Campaign - New York City FC
- Vako, Earthquakes Draw Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Record 1-1 Draw on the Road against San Jose Earthquakes - Portland Timbers
- Quioto's Goal Not Enough for Impact - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps finish homestand on winning note behind strong team effort - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Hammers the Colorado Rapids 4-1 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park