'Caps finish homestand on winning note behind strong team effort
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC wrapped up their homestand in style on Wednesday evening, defeating Montreal Impact 3-1 in yet another tense and high-scoring meeting between the Canadian rivals at BC Place.
Winners of two of their last three outings, the 'Caps also spoiled Montreal's bid to punch their ticket to the 2020 Canadian Championship Final with the victory.
The 'Caps hit the ground running as the squad stood strong defensively against a hungry Montreal side. For the majority of the first half, Vancouver limited a pressing Montreal attack and was able to out possess and outduel the Impact while creating some chances of their own. Thomas Hasal had himself a day with a total of three saves by the fulltime whistle.
Things took a turn in a hurry after a red card to Montreal's Rudy Camacho in the 37th minute after striking at Fredy Montero's knee within the penalty area. Montero stepped up and slotted home a crucial penalty, sending Clément Diop the wrong way and putting Vancouver up 1-0 in the 41st minute. Taking advantage of their extra man, Vancouver put together a string of nifty passes in the 44th minute to allow Cristian DÃ¡jome to gather the ball on the edge of the box and send it sailing into the back of the net off the fingers of an outstretched Diop to extend the 'Caps lead to 2-0 at the half.
While the Impact would respond with a Romell Quioto point-blank goal in front of Hasal in the 70th minute, Whitecaps FC stood tall for the remainder of the second half. As the half rolled on, the 'Caps sealed their victory with a clever exchange between Leonard Owusu and Montero play, resulting in a Montero strike off the post and into the back of the net, putting Vancouver up 3-1 in the 78th minute. Vancouver's solid victory was confirmed by their 89% passing accuracy, 13 total shots and plethora of chances created.
The 'Caps now head out on the road beginning with a visit to Real Salt Lake on Saturday, September 19. Kickoff at Rio Tinto Stadium is at 6:30 p.m. PT live on TSN and TSN Radio 1040.
VWFC Man of the Match: Fredy Montero
Referee: Drew Fischer
41' - VAN - Fredy Montero (penalty kick)
44' - VAN - Cristian DÃ¡jome (David MilinkoviÄ, Fredy Montero)
70' - MTL - Rommell Quioto (Saphir Taider, Victory Wanyama)
78' - VAN - Fredy Montero (Leonard Owusu)
Possession: VAN 52% - MTL 48%
Shots: VAN 13 - MTL 13
Shots on Goal: VAN 5 - MTL 4
Saves: VAN 3 - MTL 2
Fouls: VAN 8 - MTL 13
Offsides: VAN 3 - MTL 2
Corners: VAN 3 - MTL 3
31' - VAN - Ranko VeselinoviÄ
45'+1' - MTL - Samuel Piette
37' - MTL - Rudy Camacho
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
51.Thomas Hasal; 28.Jake Nerwinski, 4.Ranko VeselinoviÄ, 13.Derek Cornelius, 3.CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez; 19.Janio Bikel (55.Michael Baldisimo HT), 31.Russell Teibert ©; 14.Theo Bair (17.Leonard Owusu 62'), 7.David MilinkoviÄ (53.Ali Adnan 73'), 11.Cristian DÃ¡jome (29.Yordy Reyna 89'); 12.Fredy Montero (87.Tosaint Ricketts 89')
Substitutes not used
1.Bryan Meredith, 15.Andy Rose, 22.Ãrik Godoy, 27.Ryan Raposo
23.Clément Diop; 15.Zachary Brault-Guillard, 4.Rudy Camacho, 5.Luis Binks, 22.Jukka Raitala ©; 2.Victor Wanyama, 28.Shamit Shome (7.Rod Fanni 43'); 6.Samuel Piette (9.Bojan 78'), 8.Saphir Taider, 18.Orji Okwonkwo (21.Lassi Lappalainen 79'); 30.Rommell Quioto
Substitutes not used
1.Evan Bush, 14.Amar Sejdic, 16.Joel Waterman, 24.Karifa Yao, 26.Jorge Corrales, 27.Clément Bayiha
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 17, 2020
- Climbing the Ranks: How Tah Brian Anunga Gave Nashville SC Midfield a Boost in First MLS Season - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 19, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Storylines: Keeping the Streak Alive - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls Welcome FC Cincinnati Back to Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami to Visit Atlanta United FC on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Trades Adrian Zendejas to Minnesota United FC - Nashville SC
- MNUFC Acquire Goalkeeper Adrian Zendejas from Nashville Sc - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Brad Smith - Seattle Sounders FC
- Major League Soccer, Black Players for Change and MLS Players Association Team up to Launch MLS Unites to Vote - MLS
- AMB Sports and Entertainment Partners with When We All Vote and Wondaland for Fuel the Vote and Wondalunch Event September 26 - Atlanta United FC
- New York City FC Announces Youth-Led Voting Campaign - New York City FC
- Vako, Earthquakes Draw Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Record 1-1 Draw on the Road against San Jose Earthquakes - Portland Timbers
- Quioto's Goal Not Enough for Impact - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps finish homestand on winning note behind strong team effort - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Hammers the Colorado Rapids 4-1 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps fall to Sounders in midweek tilt
- 'Caps rally behind Adnan, Ricketts goals for massive win
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2023 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from LAFC for 2020 International Roster Slot