Inter Miami to Visit Atlanta United FC on Saturday
Inter Miami CF will kick off phase two of MLS' continuation of the 2020 MLS regular season with its third matchup against Atlanta United FC, and the second at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, this Saturday, Sept. 19, at 7 p.m. ET.
Regional fans will be able to watch the game live on CBS 4, Unimas, the free Inter Miami App, and the Univision 23 App, as well as listen on Spanish radio via Univision Miami's WQBA 1140 AM and the Uforia App. Fans worldwide can also tune in to live commentary on the Club's App. Download and Register your Profile here: https://www.intermiamicf.com/en/club/app.
"It's true that the more you play an opponent, the more you get to know them and the more they get to know you. The goal is to try to surprise them and not be surprised by them," said manager Diego Alonso.I think we played two good matches against them both in their home and at our own. We need to repeat the good performances and try to keep showing improvements by the team."
Inter Miami will continue its inaugural season with a match in Atlanta after a week of training at Inter Miami CF Training Center. The team will look to continue its positive performances against the Georgia-based team, after recording a draw on the road and a win at home in their first two clashes. On Sept. 2, Inter Miami held them scoreless at Mercedes-Benz Stadium for just the fourth time in club history for a 0-0 draw. A week later, Inter Miami earned a 2-1 win at Inter Miami CF Stadium thanks to a brace from Lewis Morgan, his first two goals of the season, and a penalty that was saved, followed by a retake that was saved by Luis Robles.
The fixture will present a series of reunions for members of both sides. Inter Miami players Mikey Ambrose, Leandro GonzÃ¡lez Pirez and Brek Shea, all former Atlanta United players, are available to face their former club. The trio played together for the Five Stripes in 2019, Shea's only season with the club, while Ambrose and LGP played for the team from 2017 to 2019. Together they helped Atlanta lift the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
LGP also helped launch Atlanta's expansion campaign in 2017 and guided the team to the 2018 MLS Cup and 2019 Campeones Cup titles, while earning individual recognitions as a 2019 MLS All-Star and two-time MLS Defender of the Year nominee. Shea, meanwhile, joined the team in 2019. The versatile defender / midfielder made 19 appearances for the team, starting in 10 of those. Ambrose appeared in 20 regular season and two playoff matches in his three seasons with Atlanta.
The matchup will also feature a head to head between Rodolfo Pizarro and two compatriots, Jürgen Damm and Ãrick Torres. Pizarro has played alongside, and against, both players on a number of occasions throughout his career. He was teammates with Damm at C.F. Pachuca from 2013 to 2015, including a period under the tutelage of current Inter Miami manager Diego Alonso from 2014 to 2015, and appeared in 61 matches together for the club. They also shared the pitch as teammates for the Mexican National Team on one occasion. The two faced each other as opponents eight times prior to their matchups as MLS players, competing in LigaMX and Concacaf Champions League matches. Pizarro and Torres, meanwhile, have lined up as teammates at various levels for the Mexican National Team, sharing the pitch 10 times. They only faced each other as opponents once before joining their current teams, when Pizarro's Pachuca defeated Torres' Chivas.
Additionally, Inter Miami Argentine NicolÃ¡s Figal defender will be facing his fellow countryman and former teammate Ezequiel Barco. The pair were teammates at Argentine top-flight team Club Atlético Independiente from 2016 to 2018, making 24 appearances for the team across all competitions.
Inter Miami is coming off of a narrow 2-1 defeat in Orlando in which the team created the bulk of the chances in the match, while Atlanta United has not won since their 2-0 win over Nashville on Aug. 22. In 2020, Atlanta has compiled a record of three wins, two draws and six losses.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 17, 2020
- Climbing the Ranks: How Tah Brian Anunga Gave Nashville SC Midfield a Boost in First MLS Season - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 19, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Storylines: Keeping the Streak Alive - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls Welcome FC Cincinnati Back to Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami to Visit Atlanta United FC on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Trades Adrian Zendejas to Minnesota United FC - Nashville SC
- MNUFC Acquire Goalkeeper Adrian Zendejas from Nashville Sc - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Brad Smith - Seattle Sounders FC
- Major League Soccer, Black Players for Change and MLS Players Association Team up to Launch MLS Unites to Vote - MLS
- AMB Sports and Entertainment Partners with When We All Vote and Wondaland for Fuel the Vote and Wondalunch Event September 26 - Atlanta United FC
- New York City FC Announces Youth-Led Voting Campaign - New York City FC
- Vako, Earthquakes Draw Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Record 1-1 Draw on the Road against San Jose Earthquakes - Portland Timbers
- Quioto's Goal Not Enough for Impact - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps finish homestand on winning note behind strong team effort - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Hammers the Colorado Rapids 4-1 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF Falls to FC Dallas 2-1 on the Road
- Inter Miami CF to Open Stadium to Limited Number of Season Ticket Members on November 8
- Inter Miami CF to Visit FC Dallas on Wednesday
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Orlando City SC 2-1 in Front of Limited Number of Season Ticket Members
- Inter Miami CF to Join eMLS Ahead of 2021 Competitive Season