Sounders FC Signs Defender Brad Smith
Seattle Sounders FC defender Brad Smith
(Seattle Sounders FC, Credit: Jane Gershovich / Sounders FC Communications)
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced that it has signed defender Brad Smith. The Australian returns to Seattle after making 35 MLS appearances (including postseason) for the Rave Green from 2018-2019, tallying eight assists and helping the club to the 2019 MLS Cup title. After Smith's contract with AFC Bournemouth ended following a loan spell in 2020 with Cardiff City, the 26-year-old is set to join Sounders FC in training and matches upon receipt of his ITC and completion of any mandatory quarantine period under local government and MLS health and safety protocol.
"We are very excited to bring in Brad, a proven winner who adds even more speed and athleticism to our squad," said Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "With Brad being out of contract, this was a uniquely good deal for us, allowing the club to add a high impact player during this unorthodox season."
Smith started 32 of his 35 MLS appearances (including postseason) with eight assists for Sounders FC in his time with the club on loan from August 8, 2018 through the 2019 season. After recording one assist in six matches during the homestretch of the 2018 campaign, Smith ranked third on the team with six assists in 25 regular-season appearances (22 starts) in 2019. He then started all four of Seattle's postseason matches, including the club's 3-1 win over Toronto FC to claim the 2019 MLS Cup. Smith's loan concluded following the 2019 MLS campaign and he returned to AFC Bournemouth, where he was loaned to Cardiff City for the remainder of the 2019-2020 English Championship season.
"Brad was a very good player for Sounders FC and helped us win a championship at home in 2019," said Sounders FC Head Coach Brian Schmetzer. "He is a good guy to have in the locker room and already has established relationships with players on our team. I'm looking forward to bringing him back into the squad."
Prior to coming to Seattle originally, Smith spent the previous two seasons with Bournemouth, where he made 11 appearances across all competitions, including five in Premier League play. Before Bournemouth, Smith played for storied English club Liverpool, where he came up through the youth ranks after moving from Penrith, Australia as a teenager. He made his first team debut in a 2-1 loss to Chelsea on December 23, 2013 in Premiership action. After being loaned to League One side Swindon Town in 2014-2015, Smith returned to Liverpool for the 2015-2016 campaign, making 10 appearances across all competitions and scoring his first professional goal for the Reds in a 2-2 draw with Exeter City in the FA Cup on January 8, 2016. Smith also made an appearance in Europa League play, a scoreless draw with FC Sion on December 10, 2015.
"We are very pleased to bring back a dynamic player like Brad, who is familiar with our system and our locker room," said Sounders FC Vice President of Soccer & Sporting Director Chris Henderson. "His tremendous speed puts opposing teams under pressure and creates chances for us down the left side, so we are excited to see him back on the field for us."
Smith has 22 caps for the Australian National Team, including a pair of appearances in 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying. After making his senior debut in a 2-0 loss to Belgium on September 4, 2014, Smith made 12 appearances for the Socceroos in 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying. The son of English parents, Smith played extensively at the youth levels for England, including representing the England U-17 side at the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
Following a historic 7-1 home win last Thursday over San Jose, Sounders FC (5-2-3, 18 points) hosts Los Angeles FC (4-4-3, 15 points) on Friday evening at CenturyLink Field (7:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, Amazon Prime Video, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
TRANSACTION: Sounders FC signs defender Brad Smith on September 17, 2020; Smith occupies an international roster slot.
Name: Brad Smith
Born: April 9, 1994 in Penrith, Australia
Hometown: Penrith, Australia
Acquired: Signed with Sounders FC on September 17, 2020
Images from this story
Seattle Sounders FC defender Brad Smith
(Jane Gershovich / Sounders FC Communications)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 17, 2020
- Climbing the Ranks: How Tah Brian Anunga Gave Nashville SC Midfield a Boost in First MLS Season - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 19, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Storylines: Keeping the Streak Alive - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls Welcome FC Cincinnati Back to Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami to Visit Atlanta United FC on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Trades Adrian Zendejas to Minnesota United FC - Nashville SC
- MNUFC Acquire Goalkeeper Adrian Zendejas from Nashville Sc - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Brad Smith - Seattle Sounders FC
- Major League Soccer, Black Players for Change and MLS Players Association Team up to Launch MLS Unites to Vote - MLS
- AMB Sports and Entertainment Partners with When We All Vote and Wondaland for Fuel the Vote and Wondalunch Event September 26 - Atlanta United FC
- New York City FC Announces Youth-Led Voting Campaign - New York City FC
- Vako, Earthquakes Draw Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Record 1-1 Draw on the Road against San Jose Earthquakes - Portland Timbers
- Quioto's Goal Not Enough for Impact - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps finish homestand on winning note behind strong team effort - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Hammers the Colorado Rapids 4-1 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Advances to MLS Western Conference Championship with 1-0 Win over FC Dallas
- Civic Activations Continue in Seattle Area as Sounders FC Hosts FC Dallas in Western Conference Semifinal Tonight
- Sounders FC Joins Washington Employers for Racial Equity Coalition
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas - December 1, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Sounders FC Advances Past LAFC with 3-1 Victory in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs