Timbers Complete Trades with Colorado, Salt Lake
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today acquired allocation money from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for defender Anthony Wallace, who was selected in today's 2010 Major League Soccer Expansion Draft. Also, the Timbers received the higher of Real Salt Lake's two second-round picks (No. 22 overall) in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft in exchange for midfielder Arturo Alvarez, the club's No. 10 pick in the Expansion Draft. Timbers general manager/technical director Gavin Wilkinson made the announcement.
Wallace, 21, was selected by the Timbers from the Rapids with the seventh pick in the Expansion Draft. He joined the Rapids midway through the 2010 season and played in seven regular-season matches. Wallace was the ninth overall pick of FC Dallas in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft, playing his first four seasons in the league with the club.
Alvarez, 25, was Portland's final pick in the Expansion Draft, taken from the San Jose Earthquakes. A veteran of eight MLS seasons, Alvarez played in 42 regular-season games for the Earthquakes over the past two seasons and scored eight goals. He was the 13th overall selection of San Jose in the 2003 MLS SuperDraft, playing two seasons with the club before joining FC Dallas from 2005-08.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2010
- Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC Each Select 10 Players in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Timbers Add Eight Through Draft, Trades - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Re-Acquires Alan Gordon and Adds Alejandro Moreno in Trade with Vancouver - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Acquires O'Brian White from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Complete Trades with MLS Expansion Clubs - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Select Ten Players in MLS 2010 Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Arturo Alvarez Via Trade with Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Complete Trades with Colorado, Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Release Players Collins John and Krzysztof Krol - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Loses Two in Expansion Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Dax McCarty - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire Defender/Midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Midfielder Arturo Alvarez and Goalkeeper Joe Cannon Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Midfielders John Thorrington and Peter Lowry Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Jordan Graye Selected by Portland in MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Select 10 Players in MLS Expansion Draft - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Defender Jonathan Leathers Selected by Vancouver in Expansion Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes 2010 Holiday Pack on Sale Now - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Turn Black Friday into Orange Friday with Special Discounts - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Record 1-1 Draw on the Road against San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Face San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match Tonight
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery
- Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Square off against San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match on September 19 to Begin Next Slate of Regular-Season Matches