D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Dax McCarty
Washington, D.C. (November 24, 2010) - D.C. United announced today that the club has acquired midfielder Dax McCarty. United sends defender Rodney Wallace and the lower of its two fourth round selections in the 2011 SuperDraft to Portland in exchange for McCarty and allocation money. Portland selected the former FC Dallas player in today's Expansion Draft with the first pick. Both Portland Timbers and Vancouver WhitecapsFC participated in today's draft, as the two clubs will join Major League Soccer in 2011 as expansion sides.
"Dax McCarty is one of our league's top midfielders, and we are pleased to welcome him to D.C. United," said General Manager Dave Kasper. "Dax has proven his abilities within MLS and we look forward to having him here in Washington."
McCarty comes to United from FC Dallas, where he helped lead the Western Conference side to the 2010 MLS Cup Final against Colorado. The 23-year-old played in 21 MLS regular season matches for Dallas in 2010 (18 starts), registering one goal and two assists. During Dallas' MLS Cup run, McCarty scored his first postseason goal in a 1-1 draw in the second leg of the Western Conference Semifinals at Real Salt Lake. In 2009 McCarty appeared in 28 MLS games (27 starts), scoring a career-best three goals to accompany six assists. Since joining FC Dallas in 2006, McCarty has featured in 93 regular season games (71 starts), recording five goals and 17 assists in that time.
The Winter Park, Florida native played two seasons at the University of North Carolina before being selected sixth overall in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft by FC Dallas. He made his MLS debut on July 1 at Chivas USA, coming on as a substitute in the 85th minute of a 3-0 loss for FC Dallas. Since that time McCarty not only asserted himself into Dallas' lineup, but he also earned a place in the U.S. Men's National Team system.
A regular member of the U.S. U-20's, he appeared in all five games for his country in the FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2007. McCarty was a member of the U.S. Olympic Team that participated in the 2008 Beijing Games, featuring in the team's final match against Nigeria. On November 14, 2009, McCarty earned his first senior cap with the National Team in a friendly at Slovakia. Four days later he earned a second cap against Denmark. In 2010 McCarty was called into two of Bob Bradley's National Team camps in advance of friendly matches in January and February.
Rodney Wallace departs United after two full seasons in Washington. In 39 regular season matches (36 starts), the defender registered three goals and five assists. Wallace was selected sixth overall in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft from the University of Maryland. This season the Costa Rican missed much of the campaign after fracturing his left fibula on June 5 against Real Salt Lake. Prior to this injury, Wallace started all 11 matches that he played at leftback.
"I'd like to thank Rodney for his services at D.C. United," said Kasper. "He has been a big part of our team over the past two seasons, but in a situation like this we must give up something of value in order to gain something of value. We wish Rodney nothing but the best moving forward as he embarks on a new phase of his career."
In addition to Wallace, Portland receives the lower of United's two fourth round 2011 MLS SuperDraft selections. The exact position of this draft choice will be determined prior to the SuperDraft on January 13 in Baltimore, Md. United currently has the third pick overall in the Draft, along with a second round selection and the remaining fourth round choice.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2010
- Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC Each Select 10 Players in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Timbers Add Eight Through Draft, Trades - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Re-Acquires Alan Gordon and Adds Alejandro Moreno in Trade with Vancouver - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Acquires O'Brian White from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Complete Trades with MLS Expansion Clubs - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Select Ten Players in MLS 2010 Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Arturo Alvarez Via Trade with Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Complete Trades with Colorado, Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Release Players Collins John and Krzysztof Krol - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Loses Two in Expansion Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Dax McCarty - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire Defender/Midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Midfielder Arturo Alvarez and Goalkeeper Joe Cannon Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Midfielders John Thorrington and Peter Lowry Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Jordan Graye Selected by Portland in MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Select 10 Players in MLS Expansion Draft - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Defender Jonathan Leathers Selected by Vancouver in Expansion Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes 2010 Holiday Pack on Sale Now - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Turn Black Friday into Orange Friday with Special Discounts - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the Suncoast Invitational
- D.C. United Acquire Veteran Midfielder/Defender Chris McCann
- 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Format and Schedule Finalized
- United Sign Defender Akeem Ward
- United Re-Sign Defender Oniel Fisher to a Contract Extension