Sounders FC Acquires O'Brian White from Vancouver
RENTON, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today acquired forward O'Brian White from the Vancouver Whitecaps FC in a trade for allocation money.
White, 24, had been chosen 12th overall by Vancouver in Wednesday's MLS Expansion Draft. He started 14 times for Toronto FC in his two MLS seasons, making 33 appearances overall. White debuted for the senior Jamaica National Team on November 17, starting the friendly against Costa Rica.
Chosen fourth overall in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft, White missed the first half of his rookie season while recovering from a knee injury sustained during his senior season at the University of Connecticut. He played in nine games, scoring two goals and more than doubled his playing time in 2010, playing in 24 regular season games (nine starts) and scoring two goals and four assists for Toronto FC.
"O'Brian is a forward with good pace and size" said head coach Sigi Schmid. "He adds another option for us in our desire to be a club that scores goals."
A youth international selection for Jamaica at the U15, U17 and U20 levels, White moved to Canada in 2002 and later starred at UConn. He was named the 2007 Missouri Athletic Club (MAC) Hermann Trophy winner--symbolic of collegiate soccer's top player--after his junior season for the Huskies, when he scored 23 goals in 24 games.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2010
- Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC Each Select 10 Players in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Timbers Add Eight Through Draft, Trades - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Re-Acquires Alan Gordon and Adds Alejandro Moreno in Trade with Vancouver - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Acquires O'Brian White from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Complete Trades with MLS Expansion Clubs - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Select Ten Players in MLS 2010 Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Arturo Alvarez Via Trade with Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Complete Trades with Colorado, Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Release Players Collins John and Krzysztof Krol - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Loses Two in Expansion Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Dax McCarty - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire Defender/Midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Midfielder Arturo Alvarez and Goalkeeper Joe Cannon Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Midfielders John Thorrington and Peter Lowry Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Jordan Graye Selected by Portland in MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Select 10 Players in MLS Expansion Draft - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Defender Jonathan Leathers Selected by Vancouver in Expansion Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes 2010 Holiday Pack on Sale Now - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Turn Black Friday into Orange Friday with Special Discounts - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Major League Soccer Announces Schedule for 2020 Continuation of Play
- Seattle Bows out of MLS Is Back Tournament with 4-1 Loss to LAFC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Los Angeles FC - July 27, 2020
- Sounders FC to Face Los Angeles FC in Knockout Stage of MLS Is Back Tournament
- Sounders FC Secures Passage to Knockout Round of MLS Is Back Tournament with 3-0 Victory over Vancouver