Jordan Graye Selected by Portland in MLS Expansion Draft
Washington, D.C. (November 24, 2010) - The Portland Timbers today selected D.C. United defender Jordan Graye in the 2010 Major League Soccer Expansion Draft. Both Portland and Vancouver Whitecaps FC participated in today's Expansion Draft, selecting ten players each to populate their rosters ahead of the 2011 MLS season. All 16 teams from 2010 were allowed to protect 11 players, leaving all others unprotected and available for selection by Portland and Vancouver. No team could lose more than two players, and after losing one individual each club was allowed to protect a twelfth and final player.
"We are disappointed to have lost Jordan in the expansion draft," said United General Manager Dave Kasper. "He is a good young player with an excellent future and we wish him the best of luck in Portland."
A Washington, D.C. native, Graye was selected 55th overall in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft by the Black-and-Red and signed with club on April 14. After a standout career at the University of North Carolina, the defender featured in 20 League games for United in his rookie season, starting each of those contests and totaling 1,668 minutes played. Following Portland's selection of Graye, D.C. United listed midfielder Kurt Morsink as its twelfth protected player. United did not lose another player aside from Graye in the Expansion Draft.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2010
- Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC Each Select 10 Players in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Timbers Add Eight Through Draft, Trades - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Re-Acquires Alan Gordon and Adds Alejandro Moreno in Trade with Vancouver - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Acquires O'Brian White from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Complete Trades with MLS Expansion Clubs - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Select Ten Players in MLS 2010 Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Arturo Alvarez Via Trade with Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Complete Trades with Colorado, Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Release Players Collins John and Krzysztof Krol - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Loses Two in Expansion Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Dax McCarty - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire Defender/Midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Midfielder Arturo Alvarez and Goalkeeper Joe Cannon Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Midfielders John Thorrington and Peter Lowry Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Jordan Graye Selected by Portland in MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Select 10 Players in MLS Expansion Draft - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Defender Jonathan Leathers Selected by Vancouver in Expansion Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes 2010 Holiday Pack on Sale Now - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Turn Black Friday into Orange Friday with Special Discounts - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Loudoun United FC Lose 4-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road
- D.C. United Sign Paul Arriola to Multi-Year Contract Extension
- D.C. United Fall to Montreal in Final Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament
- Loudoun United FC Fall 3-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against New England in the Second Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament