Chicago Fire Midfielders John Thorrington and Peter Lowry Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft
CHICAGO, IL - The Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps today selected two Chicago Fire Soccer Club players in the 2010 Major League Soccer Expansion Draft. The Vancouver Whitecaps acquired midfielder John Thorrington, while the Portland Timbers selected midfielder Peter Lowry. Each of the existing 16 MLS teams was allowed to protect 11 players on its roster from the draft, leaving all others unprotected (with the exception of Generation adidas and Homegrown players) and available for selection by both Portland and Vancouver.
"This is a bittersweet moment for us, but this is part of the game," said Fire Technical Director, Frank Klopas. "We wish John and Peter the very best and thank them for all they did for the club."
With the 20th and final pick of the 2010 MLS Expansion Draft, the Vancouver Whitecaps selected midfielder John Thorrington. The Palos, Verdes, CA product spent six seasons patrolling the Chicago midfield, appearing in 59 matches while tallying eight goals and two assists.
Thorrington became the youngest American to sign with an English Premier League team when he inked a deal with Manchester United in 1997 at age 17. The South African born U.S. international also had stints with German club Bayer Leverkusen and English clubs Huddersfield Town and Grimsby before joining the Chicago Fire in 2005.
Drafted by the Portland Timbers as the 13th pick of the 2010 MLS Expansion Draft, midfielder Peter Lowry spent three seasons with the Chicago Fire playing 24 games, including 15 in 2010, and scoring five goals for the club. The 25 year old hails originally from Missoula, MT.
ABOUT CHICAGO FIRE SOCCER CLUB
The Chicago Fire Soccer Club was founded on October 8, 1997 as a Major League Soccer expansion team. The Fire won the MLS Cup in its inaugural season in 1998 and was crowned the champion of U.S. Soccer's national tournament, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, in 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2006. In June 2006, the Fire moved into its world-class home of TOYOTA PARK, located in Bridgeview, IL. For more information on the Chicago Fire, please visit the club's official website at www.Chicago-Fire.com
ABOUT TOYOTA PARK
Located 15 minutes from downtown Chicago and minutes from Midway airport off of I-55 on Harlem Avenue, TOYOTA PARK is the Midwest's preeminent outdoor live entertainment and sporting facility. Opened in 2006, TOYOTA PARK not only serves as the home of the Chicago Fire, but also hosts a variety of sporting events, special events and concerts by national and international artists. In 2009, artists ranging from Jimmy Buffett to Phish performed live at TOYOTA PARK. In 2010, TOYOTA PARK again hosted Jimmy Buffett and Phish, while welcoming back Eric Clapton and his Crossroads tour.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2010
- Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC Each Select 10 Players in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Timbers Add Eight Through Draft, Trades - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Re-Acquires Alan Gordon and Adds Alejandro Moreno in Trade with Vancouver - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Acquires O'Brian White from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Complete Trades with MLS Expansion Clubs - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Select Ten Players in MLS 2010 Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Arturo Alvarez Via Trade with Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Complete Trades with Colorado, Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Release Players Collins John and Krzysztof Krol - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Loses Two in Expansion Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Dax McCarty - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire Defender/Midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Midfielder Arturo Alvarez and Goalkeeper Joe Cannon Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Midfielders John Thorrington and Peter Lowry Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Jordan Graye Selected by Portland in MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Select 10 Players in MLS Expansion Draft - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Defender Jonathan Leathers Selected by Vancouver in Expansion Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes 2010 Holiday Pack on Sale Now - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Turn Black Friday into Orange Friday with Special Discounts - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire, Chicago Red Stars to Host April 20 Doubleheader at SeatGeek Stadium
- Chicago Fire Battle FC Cincinnati to a 1-1 Draw in Carolina Challenge Cup
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - February 18, 2019
- Chicago Fire Draws Columbus Crew SC 1-1 in Carolina Challenge Cup
- Chicago Fire and Supporters to Stand Together in 2019