Timbers Acquire Defender/Midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today acquired defender/midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United and the lower of United's two fourth-round draft picks in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft in exchange for midfielder Dax McCarty and allocation money. Timbers general manager/technical director Gavin Wilkinson made the announcement.
Wallace, 22, was originally a first-round selection (6th overall) of D.C. United in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of Maryland. As both a defender and midfielder, Wallace played 39 regular-season games and made 36 starts over his two years with United (2009-10), compiling three goals and five assists.
"Rodney is a young, yet proven MLS player who again gives us great versatility with his ability to play several positions," Wilkinson said.
Wallace started in all 11 matches he played in for DC United in 2010, tallying 924 minutes and two assists before sustaining an injury that kept him out the remainder of the season. In 2009, he led United with 3,117 minutes played across all competitions.
At Maryland, Wallace teamed with newly acquired Timbers defender/midfielder Jeremy Hall for two seasons, helping the Terrapins capture the 2008 College Cup; Hall was acquired from the New York Red Bulls on Monday.
"We feel that the established familiarity between Rodney and Jeremy will be a tremendous benefit to our organization," Wilkinson said.
Wallace, who was born in San Jose, Costa Rica, started all 46 games he played in over two seasons at Maryland (2007-08), tallying 10 goals and four assists during his collegiate career.
McCarty, the first overall selection of the Timbers in today's MLS Expansion Draft, spent the last five seasons with FC Dallas, netting five goals and collecting 17 assists over 93 regular-season games (71 starts).
A first-round selection (6th overall) of FC Dallas in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft, McCarty, 23, scored one goal and added two assists while starting in 18 of his 21 games played during the 2010 regular season with FC Dallas. During FC Dallas' run to a 2010 MLS Cup appearance, McCarty scored his first career postseason goal in the second leg of the 2010 conference semifinals, a 1-1 draw at Real Salt Lake.
In his five seasons with FC Dallas (2006-10), McCarty tallied five goals and 17 assists over 93 career regular-season games (71 starts).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2010
- Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC Each Select 10 Players in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Timbers Add Eight Through Draft, Trades - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Re-Acquires Alan Gordon and Adds Alejandro Moreno in Trade with Vancouver - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Acquires O'Brian White from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Complete Trades with MLS Expansion Clubs - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Select Ten Players in MLS 2010 Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Arturo Alvarez Via Trade with Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Complete Trades with Colorado, Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Release Players Collins John and Krzysztof Krol - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Loses Two in Expansion Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Dax McCarty - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire Defender/Midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Midfielder Arturo Alvarez and Goalkeeper Joe Cannon Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Midfielders John Thorrington and Peter Lowry Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Jordan Graye Selected by Portland in MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Select 10 Players in MLS Expansion Draft - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Defender Jonathan Leathers Selected by Vancouver in Expansion Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes 2010 Holiday Pack on Sale Now - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Turn Black Friday into Orange Friday with Special Discounts - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Acquire Defender Dario Zuparic
- Nashville SC Selects Defender Zarek Valentin No. 4 Overall in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft
- Portland to Host eMLS League Series Two in February
- Major League Soccer Terminates Brian Fernandez Contract
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Roster