Timbers Acquire Midfielder Jack Jewsbury from Sporting Kansas City
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that the club has acquired midfielder Jack Jewsbury from Sporting Kansas City in exchange for allocation money. Timbers general manager/technical director Gavin Wilkinson made the announcement.
Jewsbury, 29, has played the past eight seasons with Sporting KC, appearing in 195 regular-season matches and recording 15 goals and 21 assists during his time with the club. Named Sporting KC's 2008 Defensive Player of the Year, Jewsbury ranks among the club's all-time career leaders in games played.
"This is a great signing for the club, adding a player with eight years of MLS experience to the group," said Timbers head coach John Spencer. "I think he will be a great addition, and he will definitely make us a better squad."
A native of Springfield, Mo., Jewsbury appeared in 29 games for Sporting KC last season, contributing two goals in 1,675 minutes. He had a standout season in 2008, posting career-highs in assists (7) and points (13), while being named the club's Defensive Player of the Year. In 2009, Jewsbury ranked among Sporting KC's assist leaders for a second straight season, with five assists during the campaign.
"I'm excited for this opportunity," said Jewsbury. "After being in Kansas City for the past eight years, it's tough to leave some of the guys and friendships I've created. But I'm excited for the opportunity with a new club. I've heard nothing but good things about Portland fans and the Timbers organization."
Jewsbury was drafted by Sporting Kansas City, then the Kansas City Wizards, in the fifth round (43rd overall) of the 2003 MLS SuperDraft. In his second professional season, Jewsbury played a role in the club's successful 2004 campaign, which included winning the Western Conference championship, appearing in the MLS Cup and capturing the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
Jewsbury was called into camp with the U.S. National Team on two occasions in 2009. His first call-up was for a friendly against Sweden on Jan. 24, 2009, in Carson, Calif. He was then named to head coach Bob Bradley's training camp roster ahead of the United States' 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Mexico on Feb. 11, 2009.
Jewsbury played his collegiate career at Saint Louis University (1999-2002), where he was a two-time All-American, an Academic All-American and the Conference USA Player of the Year in 2000. He compiled 38 goals and 25 assists in 80 matches for the Billikens, helping the team qualify for the NCAA tournament in four straight seasons. A member of the Billiken All-Half Century team, Jewsbury was inducted into the Billiken Hall of Fame earlier this year on Feb. 18, 2011.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2011
- Chivas USA Falls to Canada Under-23 National Team in Preseason Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Waive Midfielder Tony Donatelli - San Jose Earthquakes
- Darlington Nagbe to Undergo Surgery to Repair Sports Hernia Friday - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Waives Defender Carlos Borja - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Beckham back with Galaxy after Spurs stint - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Comply with MLS Roster Deadline - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls Add David Lee as Performance Analyst - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Signs Defender Chris Korb - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Waive Conor Chinn and Irving Garcia - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Sign Steven Emory and Mike Holody - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Sign Goalkeeper Alec Dufty - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Acquires Argentine Forward Marcos Mondaini on Loan - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting Kansas City Signs Three to MLS Contracts - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Sign Second Round SuperDraft Pick Anthony Ampaipitakwong - San Jose Earthquakes
- Midfielder Jack Jewsbury Traded to Portland Timbers - Sporting Kansas City
- Altitude Announces 2011 Rapids Broadcast Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Jack Jewsbury from Sporting Kansas City - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Being a Whitecaps FC Fan Just Got Better with Bell - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Flores, Loria, Paredes Called up for International Matches
- Timbers Select Two Players in Final Two Rounds of 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Timbers to Offer Free Axe Portrait Photo Shoot to Public Starting January 25 at Providence Park
- Timbers Select Midfielder Aaron Molloy in First Round of 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Yimmi Chara as Designated Player