Midfielder Jack Jewsbury Traded to Portland Timbers
Sporting Kansas City announced on Tuesday that midfielder Jack Jewsbury was traded to the Portland Timbers in exchange for allocation money.
"This was not an easy decision. Jack has spent eight years with Kansas City, representing the organization on and off the field with class," Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes said. "I understand that it might sound cliché, but we really do wish Jack all the best and sincerely thank him for what he accomplished with this club and in this city."
Jewsbury, 29, was drafted by Kansas City with the 43rd overall pick in the fifth round of the 2003 MLS SuperDraft out of Saint Louis University, where he was recently inducted into the Billikens Hall of Fame for his outstanding collegiate career. Jewsbury spent eight seasons in KC, making 204 appearances, including postseason, and recorded 15 goals and 21 assists.
"The eight years in Kansas City have been unbelievable," Jewsbury said. "I'll never forget all the great times with the team. The ownership over the past few years has been fantastic, taking the team in a new direction with the new stadium and re-brand. So on that end, it's bittersweet. I've made lifelong friends in Kansas City and I'll never forget the fan support I had all these years."
After making two appearances in his rookie season, Jewsbury broke into the lineup in 2004, playing in 26 games, including postseason when he started all four matches in Kansas City's run to MLS Cup. Jewsbury recorded his only career postseason points with an assist and series-winning goal in stoppage time of the Western Conference semi-finals. In addition to starting in the 2004 MLS Cup, Jewsbury also started in the 2004 U.S. Open Cup final as Kansas City won the competition.
His versatility made him a mainstay in the lineup over his eight years in Kansas City, appearing in 28 or more games each of the last six seasons. Jewsbury holds several spots on Kansas City's all-time record charts, ranking 7th in games started (142), games played (195) and minutes played (13,275), while ranking 8th in assists (21).
In 2008, Jewsbury led the team with seven assists, a single-season career high, and was named the team's Defensive Player of the Year. The Springfield, Missouri native also twice earned invitations to the U.S. Men's National Team training camps in 2009.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2011
- Chivas USA Falls to Canada Under-23 National Team in Preseason Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Waive Midfielder Tony Donatelli - San Jose Earthquakes
- Darlington Nagbe to Undergo Surgery to Repair Sports Hernia Friday - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Waives Defender Carlos Borja - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Beckham back with Galaxy after Spurs stint - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Comply with MLS Roster Deadline - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls Add David Lee as Performance Analyst - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Signs Defender Chris Korb - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Waive Conor Chinn and Irving Garcia - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Sign Steven Emory and Mike Holody - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Sign Goalkeeper Alec Dufty - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Acquires Argentine Forward Marcos Mondaini on Loan - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting Kansas City Signs Three to MLS Contracts - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Sign Second Round SuperDraft Pick Anthony Ampaipitakwong - San Jose Earthquakes
- Midfielder Jack Jewsbury Traded to Portland Timbers - Sporting Kansas City
- Altitude Announces 2011 Rapids Broadcast Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Jack Jewsbury from Sporting Kansas City - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Being a Whitecaps FC Fan Just Got Better with Bell - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting KC Midfielder Gianluca Busio Named to U.S. Roster for U-17 World Cup
- Sporting Closes out 2019 MLS Season with Defeat at FC Dallas
- Preview: Sporting to Visit FC Dallas in Sunday's Season Finale
- Sporting Earns 2-2 Draw vs. Portland in Home Finale
- Sporting Announces 2019 Club Awards at Pitch Black