Beckham back with Galaxy after Spurs stint
CARSON, Calif. â" After spending the first six weeks of the year training with EPL club Tottenham Hotspur, David Beckham has returned to the LA Galaxy.
Beckham participated in his first Galaxy training session of the year on Thursday, and though he did not play a match with Spurs, Beckham said his overall fitness is right on schedule.
"My main objective was to get fit for the Galaxy and for the MLS season," Beckham said after training. "My main objective wasn't to play for a Premiership team. Even if I would have been on loan, even if I would have played the games, this is the time I was always going to come back."
Beckham said at the end of the 2010 season that he intended to rest and would not seek a loan at a foreign club during the MLS offseason. However, after taking a few weeks off following a friendly in Australia at the end of November, the 35-year-old decided he needed to stay fit throughout the winter and admitted that he would have welcomed a loan move.
"If there was an option to play, I was going to take it," Beckham said. "But without a doubt, I 100 percent wanted to go somewhere and train and not take the three months and just sit around doing nothing. At this stage of my career, and especially after the injury I had, I realized it was more important to train than to sit on a beach."
Beckham said the decision was made jointly with Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena and AEG president Tim Leiweke. The Galaxy began preparations for the 2011 season while Beckham was still in England, but the midfielder remained at Spurs.
Beckham also missed a 10-day trip to Arizona.
"Speaking with Bruce and speaking at the level that the players came back at, at the end of January, it was sensible to continue the program I was doing at Spurs â" only missing out on a few weeks with the lads here," he said. "It was just important for my fitness, and for my level, that I continue there and come back fitter than I was last season."
Beckham missed nearly six months after tearing his Achilles tendon while on loan with AC Milan early last year. The injury cost him the chance to play in the World Cup and also delayed his Galaxy return, but he was able to play 90 minutes before the postseason and helped the Galaxy reach the Western Conference Championship.
Still, he said it was vital to have spent time in England this past winter as he prepares for the 2011 season.
"Especially coming back from the injury, it was even more important to go somewhere and keep fit," Beckham said. "Any Premiership team â" especially a Premiership team in the top four â" the quality and the intensity of their training was going to be good for me."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2011
- Chivas USA Falls to Canada Under-23 National Team in Preseason Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Waive Midfielder Tony Donatelli - San Jose Earthquakes
- Darlington Nagbe to Undergo Surgery to Repair Sports Hernia Friday - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Waives Defender Carlos Borja - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Beckham back with Galaxy after Spurs stint - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Comply with MLS Roster Deadline - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls Add David Lee as Performance Analyst - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Signs Defender Chris Korb - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Waive Conor Chinn and Irving Garcia - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Sign Steven Emory and Mike Holody - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Sign Goalkeeper Alec Dufty - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Acquires Argentine Forward Marcos Mondaini on Loan - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting Kansas City Signs Three to MLS Contracts - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Sign Second Round SuperDraft Pick Anthony Ampaipitakwong - San Jose Earthquakes
- Midfielder Jack Jewsbury Traded to Portland Timbers - Sporting Kansas City
- Altitude Announces 2011 Rapids Broadcast Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Jack Jewsbury from Sporting Kansas City - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Being a Whitecaps FC Fan Just Got Better with Bell - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Houston Dynamo 1 - Friday, April 19, 2019
- LA Galaxy Announce 2019 LA Galaxy Special Olympics Unified Roster
- LA Galaxy to Host Golf Tournament on June 10 to Benefit LA Galaxy Foundation
- LA Galaxy to Celebrate Protect the Pitch Night Friday at Dignity Health Sports Park
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Philadelphia Union 0 - Saturday, April 13, 2019