Rapids Sign Steven Emory and Mike Holody
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Tuesday, March 1, 2011) - The Colorado Rapids announced several roster moves, as today marked Major League Soccer's roster and budget compliancy date.
The team announced the signings of midfielder Steven Emory and defender Mike Holody. Per club and league policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Emory has played his entire soccer career (high school, college and professional) in the state of Colorado. He was among 57 players to take part in a three-day tryout with the Rapids in January 2011 and becomes the first player in school history to join an MLS squad following his playing career at Metro State. Emory led Fort Collins High School to a state championship in 2005 before committing to Metro State, where he helped the Roadrunners to four winning seasons and two NCAA Tournament appearances. Following his senior season, he was named the 2009 Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Player of the Year. Emory was also a member of the Rapids Youth Academy in 2007.
Holody was originally selected by the Rapids in the fourth round, 59th overall, of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. He appeared in more games than any other rookie for the Rapids during the 2009 season playing in four games for 80 minutes and scoring one goal. Last season, he did not make an appearance for the Rapids before being waived on September 15. Holody finished his collegiate career at the University of Michigan as the school's all-time leader in minutes played (6,498).
These roster moves give the Rapids 25 players currently under contract. All MLS club's first team rosters are comprised of up to 30 players who are all eligible for selection to each 18-player game day squad during the regular season and playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2011
- Chivas USA Falls to Canada Under-23 National Team in Preseason Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Waive Midfielder Tony Donatelli - San Jose Earthquakes
- Darlington Nagbe to Undergo Surgery to Repair Sports Hernia Friday - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Waives Defender Carlos Borja - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Beckham back with Galaxy after Spurs stint - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Comply with MLS Roster Deadline - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls Add David Lee as Performance Analyst - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Signs Defender Chris Korb - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Waive Conor Chinn and Irving Garcia - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Sign Steven Emory and Mike Holody - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Sign Goalkeeper Alec Dufty - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Acquires Argentine Forward Marcos Mondaini on Loan - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting Kansas City Signs Three to MLS Contracts - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Sign Second Round SuperDraft Pick Anthony Ampaipitakwong - San Jose Earthquakes
- Midfielder Jack Jewsbury Traded to Portland Timbers - Sporting Kansas City
- Altitude Announces 2011 Rapids Broadcast Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Jack Jewsbury from Sporting Kansas City - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Being a Whitecaps FC Fan Just Got Better with Bell - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Postgame Note: Los Angeles FC 3, Colorado Rapids 1
- Postgame Notes: Colorado Rapids 3, FC Dallas 0
- Postgame Note: Sporting Kansas City 2, Colorado Rapids 3
- Colorado Rapids to Host Memorial Service in Honor of Colin Clark
- Postgame Note: Toronto FC 3, Colorado Rapids 2