Earthquakes Sign Second Round SuperDraft Pick Anthony Ampaipitakwong
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that they have signed second-round MLS SuperDraft pick Anthony Ampaipitakwong. Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Ampaipitakwong was a two-time Hermann Trophy semifinalist as a junior and senior at the University of Akron. In college, the midfielder recorded 17 goals and 30 assists over four seasons. He also featured twice on the Soccer American Team MVP First Team, and finished his University of Akron career as the all-time leader in games played (93).
One of three captains during the 2010 season, Ampaipitakwong led the Zips to the NCAA Championship. He was named to the TopDrawerSoccer.com Team of the Season First Team, College Soccer News All-America Second Team, and College Cup All-Tournament Team. He started all 24 games, and his 11 assists on the season ranked No. 25 in the country.
In his junior season, Ampaipitakwong gained national honors in the NSCAA All-America First Team, College Soccer News All-America First Team, and First Team All-Mid American Conference. He was named the College Soccer News National Player of the week (Nov. 23) and twice named to the Top Drawer Soccer National Team of the Week. He scored eight goals on the season, which included four game-winning goals. The crafty playmaker also notched a brace on three separate occasions.
Prior to his time at Akron, Ampaipitakwong was in residency with the U-17 National Team in Bradenton, Florida, and finished his high school career at the IMG Academy. He played for the Dallas Texans club team, and won a national championship in 2005.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2011
- Chivas USA Falls to Canada Under-23 National Team in Preseason Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Waive Midfielder Tony Donatelli - San Jose Earthquakes
- Darlington Nagbe to Undergo Surgery to Repair Sports Hernia Friday - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Waives Defender Carlos Borja - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Beckham back with Galaxy after Spurs stint - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Comply with MLS Roster Deadline - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls Add David Lee as Performance Analyst - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Signs Defender Chris Korb - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Waive Conor Chinn and Irving Garcia - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Sign Steven Emory and Mike Holody - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Sign Goalkeeper Alec Dufty - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Acquires Argentine Forward Marcos Mondaini on Loan - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting Kansas City Signs Three to MLS Contracts - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Sign Second Round SuperDraft Pick Anthony Ampaipitakwong - San Jose Earthquakes
- Midfielder Jack Jewsbury Traded to Portland Timbers - Sporting Kansas City
- Altitude Announces 2011 Rapids Broadcast Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Jack Jewsbury from Sporting Kansas City - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Being a Whitecaps FC Fan Just Got Better with Bell - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Quakes earn second win in last three matches; Hoesen tallies brace
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Avaya Stadium this Summer
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 15, 2019
- Yueill nets first MLS career goal in loss
- Quakes to Celebrate Earth Day with Activations on Match Day