Timbers Acquire Defender Dario Zuparic
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that the club has signed international defender Dario Zuparic from Croatia's First Football League side HNK Rijeka to a multi-year contract using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). Zuparic will be added to the Timbers' roster, pending a physical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 visa.
"Dario was targeted as a player of interest over a year ago and we are delighted to get a proven defender at a very good age to join the Timbers," said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager and president of soccer for the Timbers. "Dario brings a wealth of experience and we believe his playing style, experience and leadership qualities will be very beneficial to the team and we expect him to make a significant impact once he is fully transitioned."
Zuparic, 27, joined HNK Rijeka at the beginning of the 2017 season, playing in 72 matches (71 starts) between the 2017-18 seasons. He helped the team win the 2016-17 Croatian First Football League and captured the 2016-17 and 2018-19 Croatian Football Cup. In 2019, Zuparic recorded 18 appearances (18 starts) for Rijeka, scoring one goal.
A four-year Italian Serie B veteran, Zuparic made 97 appearances (88 starts) for Pescara (2013-17), helping the team secure promotion to Serie A during the 2015-16 campaign. Zuparic then recorded nine appearances (five starts) with Pescara in Serie A. Prior to joining Pescara, Zuparic made 69 appearances (66 starts) with Croatian side HNK Cibalia (2011-13) after joining the club in 2011.
"We are pleased to add Dario as a proven defender to our roster," said Giovanni Savarese, head coach of the Timbers. "Dario's vast experience playing in Europe will be an important asset to strengthen our backline and his winning mentality perfectly aligns with the team's culture."
At the international level, Zuparic made three appearances for the U-19 Bosnia and Herzegovina national team and debuted with the Croatian U-21 national team in 2011, recording seven appearances (six starts).
Zuparic will occupy an international slot on the Timbers roster.
Transaction: Portland Timbers acquire defender Dario Zuparic via transfer from Croatian First Football League side HNK Rijeka using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) on Nov. 20, 2019.
Born: May 3, 1992, in Å½upanja, Croatia
Last Club: HNK Rijeka (Croatia)
Acquired: Acquired via transfer from Croatian First Football League side HNK Rijeka using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) on Nov. 20, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 20, 2019
- Whitecaps FC Transfer Centre Back Doneil Henry to K League 1 Club - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Acquires Honduran International Winger Romell Quioto - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo Acquire Defender Victor Cabrera and $100,000 of General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact - Houston Dynamo
- Sounders FC Flag to be Raised in Olympia this Friday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Philadelphia Union Exercise 2020 Options on Eight Players - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $750,000 in Allocation Money from Colorado Rapids - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General Allocation Money and International Roster Sport in Trade with the Colorado Rapids - Columbus Crew SC
- New York City FC to Open 2020 Preseason against Brazilian Clubs in Florida Cup - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire 2020 Season Tickets at Soldier Field Now Available up to 30% off Regular Price - Chicago Fire
- MLS All-Stars to Face LIGA MX All-Stars at Banc of California Stadium in 2020 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- New York City FC Announces Roster Moves for 2020 - New York City FC
- Sounders FC Announces Roster Decisions to Conclude 2019 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Acquire Defender Dario Zuparic - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Blake Bodily as Homegrown Player for 2020 Season
- Timbers Midfielder Andres Flores Undergoes Surgery to Repair Medial Meniscus Tear
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica for 2020 Preseason
- Flores, Loria, Paredes Called up for International Matches
- Timbers Select Two Players in Final Two Rounds of 2020 MLS SuperDraft