Thunder Suffers First Regulation Loss of the Season in Utah
West Valley City, UT - Wichita fell behind in the first period and couldn't recover in a 7-1 loss to Utah on Wednesday night at the Maverik Center.
Chris Crane tallied the lone goal for the Thunder in the losing effort.
Utah zipped out to a hot start, scoring four times in the first period. Josh Dickinson scored back-to-back goals just five minutes apart to make it 2-0. Griffin Molino increased the lead to 3-0 at 10:07. Just over a minute later, Travis Barron notched his first of two on the night to make it 4-0.
In the second, Dickinson netted his hat trick goal at 2:10 to make it 5-0. Wichita got on the board at 2:21 when Chris Crane found a rebound off a shot from Patrik Parkkonen and beat Jeff Smith to make it 5-1. Barron recorded his second of the contest at 15:44 on the power play to make it 6-1.
The only goal of the third came from Joe Wegwerth at 11:39. He stole a puck near the Utah line, skated down on a breakaway and beat Gillam for his first of the season and the first shorthanded goal against the Thunder.
Wichita remains winless at the Maverik Center all-time, going 0-6-4 against Utah on the road in the series. Crane has goals in three-straight games to start the season. Beau Starrett and Parkkonen picked up the helpers.
The Thunder remains on the road this week with a pair of games against the Idaho Steelheads beginning Friday night at 8:10 p.m. CST.
The Thunder are excited to be the host of the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22nd, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 17, 2019
- Stukel Loaned to Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala Recalled to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - October 17 - ECHL
- Morrison Reassigned to Komets, McKenzie Returns to Fort Wayne Lineup - Fort Wayne Komets
- Thunder Announce 2019-20 Home Opener Festivities - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Help Launch Captain Joel Barnes Community Service Award - Maine Mariners
- Ryker Killins Recalled to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Rush Announce Details for Opening Weekend Tailgate - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on Grizzlies 7-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 7-1 on Dickinson's Hat Trick - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Suffers First Regulation Loss of the Season in Utah - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.