Grizzlies Win 7-1 on Dickinson's Hat Trick
West Valley City, Utah - Josh Dickinson scored 3 goals and 1 assist and Travis Barron added 2 goals as the Utah Grizzlies defeated the Wichita Thunder 7-1 on Wednesday night at Maverik Center.
Utah goaltender Jeff Smith gets the victory in his professional debut as he stopped 13 of 14 shots. Utah outshot Wichita 30 to 14 in the game. Smith is coming off a successful 3 year college career at St. Cloud State.
The Grizzlies got on the board as Dickinson scored 2:08 into the contest. Dickinson scored his second of the first period on the power play 7:37 into the game. Griffin Molino and Travis Barron added first period goals. Molino had 1 goal and 1 assists and led the team with a +4 on the night.
Dickinson completed the hat trick on a great pass from Tim McGauley 2:10 into the second period. Wichita got on the board 11 seconds later as Chris Crane scored his third of the season on a rebound.
The Grizzlies added insurance goals as Travis Barron scored a power play goal for the third straight game late in the second period. Joe Wegwerth added a shorthanded goal 11:39 into the third to complete the scoring.
Utah finished the game 2 for 7 on the power play, while the penalty kill was a perfect 4 for 4.
The Grizzlies begin a 5 game road trip on Friday night against the Allen Americans. Face-off is at 6:00 pm mountain time. Next home game for the Grizzlies is on November 2nd against Idaho at 7:00 pm. There is a Winter clothing drive, called "Share the Warmth" presented by Ford.
3 stars of the game
1. Josh Dickinson (Utah) - 3 goals, 1 assist.
2. Travis Barron (Utah) - 2 goals.
3. Griffen Molino (Utah) - 1 goal, 1 assist.
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies huddle
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 17, 2019
- Stukel Loaned to Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala Recalled to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - October 17 - ECHL
- Morrison Reassigned to Komets, McKenzie Returns to Fort Wayne Lineup - Fort Wayne Komets
- Thunder Announce 2019-20 Home Opener Festivities - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Help Launch Captain Joel Barnes Community Service Award - Maine Mariners
- Ryker Killins Recalled to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Rush Announce Details for Opening Weekend Tailgate - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on Grizzlies 7-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 7-1 on Dickinson's Hat Trick - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Suffers First Regulation Loss of the Season in Utah - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Grizzlies Stories
- Grizzlies Gameday: Teddy Bear Toss and Hispanic Heritage Night at Maverik Center
- K-Wings Defeat Grizz 3-1 on Pride Night at the Mav
- Grizzlies Gameday
- Grizz Insider: 6 Things to Know for Friday's Series Opener vs K-Wings
- Brandon Cutler Wins ECHL Rookie of the Month