Thunder Get Early Jump in 7-2 Preseason Victory
Wichita, Kansas - The Wichita Thunder jumped out to an early start this afternoon, taking a 4-1 first period lead and never looking back in a 5-2 win over the Allen Americans on Saturday afternoon at the Wichita Ice Center.
After the Thunder scored two straight in the opening frame, Americans defenseman, David Makowski scored his first of the preseason at the 14:35 mark of the opening period from Daniel Doremus and Casey Pierro-Zabotel to make it a 2-1 Thunder lead. However, Wichita would add two more before the end of the first period to make it a 4-1 score after twenty minutes of play.
Wichita added its fifth of the night early in the second period, before the Americans would cash in on the power play in the second when Garrett Clarke knocked one home to make it a 5-2 score. Gary Steffes and Justin Courtnall picked up the Allen assists. Wichita held a slight an 18-16 advantage in shots on goal after two periods of play.
Wichita added two more in the final period, on their way to a 7-2 win over the Americans. Several of Allen's top players did not make the trip; Greger Hanson, Chad Costello, Riley Gill, Kevin Young and Aaron Gens all were left behind in Allen.
The Americans made a trade following the game, sending defenseman Trevor Ludwig to the Missouri Mavericks for forward Tristan King. King had 33 points in 42 games last season with Ontario.
"We traded a top defensive defenseman and picked up a top skilled offensive player in King," said Allen Americans Head Coach and GM Steve Martinson.
The Americans open the regular season on Friday, October 16th at home against the Quad City Mallards.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 10, 2015
- Eagles Go 2-0 in Preseason with 5-3 Win over Rapid City - Colorado Eagles
- Monarch Win OT Thriller 5-4 at Adirondack - Manchester Monarchs
- Gladiators Blank Stingrays - Atlanta Gladiators
- Walleye Sweep Wings with 2-1 Win - Toledo Walleye
- IceMen Drop Preseason Finale 6-2 to Komets - Evansville IceMen
- Solar Bears Slip Past Everblades in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Admirals Come up Short in Preseason Shootout at Reading - Norfolk Admirals
- South Carolina Falls to Atlanta 4-0 to Conclude Preseason - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Hold Wings at Bay for Second Straight Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Close out Pre-Season with Win over Norfolk, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Eric Hartzell Signs with Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Get Early Jump in 7-2 Preseason Victory - Allen Americans
- Eagles Sign Goalie Matt Zenzola to Professional Tryout - Colorado Eagles
- Thunder Blow Past Americans in Lone Exhibition Contest, 7-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Release Two, Roster Down to 25 - Indy Fuel
- Americans Opening Night Less Than a Week Away - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - October 10 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Release Five from Training Camp - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Forward Maxime Sauve Added to South Carolina Roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Single Game Tickets Now on Sale - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Announce Player Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- Linsmayer, Molin Lead Steelheads over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads Take Boise Half of Preseason Home and Home - Utah Grizzlies
- Historic Team India Match a Resounding Success - Brampton Beast
- Eagles Blank Rush 3-0 in Preseason Opener - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.