Thunder Bats Baffled by Baysox Arms
The Thunder managed just one hit Friday night and were shut out by the Bowie Baysox, 3-0, at Prince George's Stadium.
Pestering Bowie starter Zac Lowther (6-4) for four walks through five innings, the Thunder could not push a run across despite putting a total of five men aboard across the first three innings. Lowther struck out seven, retiring the final seven batters he faced.
Hunter Harvey tossed three scoreless innings for Bowie in the first relief outing of his career, combining with Lowther to retire 15 straight Thunder batters between the third and eighth innings. Tyler Erwin shut the door with a scoreless ninth inning to earn the save.
Kellin Deglan delivered the lone Thunder hit, lining a single to right field in the second inning. The base hit extended the catcher's on-base streak to eight games and his hitting streak to five games, both season-highs.
The loss spoiled a strong start by Garrett Whitlock (3-2), who allowed just one run over six innings. The right-hander threw 31 pitches in a fourth inning that saw Rylan Bannon deliver an RBI-single for the game's first run, but Whitlock recovered to strand the bases loaded and did not allow another run through his six innings.
The Baysox added to their run total with a seventh-inning RBI-single by Jesmuel Valentin off Will Carter and a solo homer by Yusniel Diaz in the eighth off Domingo Acevedo.
The defeat kept the Thunder magic number to clinch the first half at three, pending results elsewhere in the league.
The two teams played the game in just two hours and five minutes, the fastest nine-inning game for the Thunder this season.
Your Thunder continue their series with the Baysox on Saturday night at 6:35 p.m. RHP Trevor Stephan (1-3, 5.40) will start for the Thunder, and LHP Alex Wells (3-1, 1.61) will go for Bowie. Pregame coverage begins at 6:20 p.m. on 920 AM The Jersey or online at TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Romero Leads Fightins to Share of First Place - Reading Fightin Phils
- Hot Month Continues as Curve Win in Binghamton - Altoona Curve
- Stud Muffins Drop Third Straight in Loss to Curve - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- 3-0 Shutout Fuels Bowie's Sixth Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- 'Big Ben' Clocks Huge Save as Goats Move Half-Game Out - Hartford Yard Goats
- Lester, Schwindel Homer for Erie on Friday - Erie SeaWolves
- Strong Seven for Wade, Sea Dogs Win 3-1 at Akron - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Rally Comes up Short in 3-1 Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Early Runs Doom RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Bats Baffled by Baysox Arms - Trenton Thunder
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 14th at Akron RubberDucks - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Set for Historic Three-Game Homestand at PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (33-27) vs. Altoona Curve (34-31) - 7:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Sweep Fisher Cats, 9-4 - Bowie Baysox
- Medina Looks Like an Ace in 3-2 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- 2020 Thunder Season Canceled Due to COVID-19
- Update from the Trenton Thunder
- Individual Tickets on Sale Thursday, Promotional Schedule Revealed for 2020 Season
- Swing into 2020 with New Entertainment Suite at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Name Revealed for 4th Generation of Thunder Bat Dog Tradition