'Big Ben' Clocks Huge Save as Goats Move Half-Game Out
ERIE, PA - Ben Bowden got former Kansas City Royal Frank Schwindel to line out to left field with the tying runs on base, as the Hartford Yard Goats held on for a 5-3 win over the Erie Seawolves Friday night, before 4,885 at UPMC Park. The win moved Hartford (37-28) to within a 1/2 game of first place Trenton and Reading with three games remaining in the division's first-half playoff race. Yard Goats pitching ace Rico Garcia is scheduled to pitch game two of the series Saturday night.
Bowden, who registered his league-leading 20th save in 20 chances pitched around two one-out walks before getting a strike out and game-ending line out in a 29-pitch inning.
The Yard Goats went ahead to stay in the third inning with three runs off of Erie starter Matt Manning. With runners on second and third, Hartford scored the tying run on a ground out by Manny Melendez followed by an RBI-triple by Tyler Nevin and sacrifice foul-fly by Colton Welker.
Hartford tacked on single runs in the fourth and sixth on run-scoring singles by Brian Serven and Vance Vizcaino. Schwindel, who began the season with the Royals, homered in the eighth to set up the ninth inning drama.
Reliever Alexander Guillen picked up the win, pitching 2 2/3 innings of scoreless relief. He allowed one hit and struck out three.
Serven had two hits an RBI and run scored to pace the Hartford attack. Josh Lester had a home run and two hits and Kade Scivicque had two hits for Erie, which left 10 men on base.
Game two of the three-game series is Saturday at 7:05 PM. RHP Rico Garcia will pitch for Hartford against RHP Spenser Watkins for Erie. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410 AM, on 100.9 FM and on the Internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com and on MiLB.com. Hartford returns to Dunkin' Donuts Park on Tuesday, June 18 at 7:05 PM against Bowie.
Hartford 5-6-0Erie 3-8-1
WP- Alexander Guillen (2-1)
LP- Matt Manning (5-4)
S- Ben Bowden (20)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Romero Leads Fightins to Share of First Place - Reading Fightin Phils
- Hot Month Continues as Curve Win in Binghamton - Altoona Curve
- Stud Muffins Drop Third Straight in Loss to Curve - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- 3-0 Shutout Fuels Bowie's Sixth Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- 'Big Ben' Clocks Huge Save as Goats Move Half-Game Out - Hartford Yard Goats
- Lester, Schwindel Homer for Erie on Friday - Erie SeaWolves
- Strong Seven for Wade, Sea Dogs Win 3-1 at Akron - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Rally Comes up Short in 3-1 Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Early Runs Doom RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Bats Baffled by Baysox Arms - Trenton Thunder
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 14th at Akron RubberDucks - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Set for Historic Three-Game Homestand at PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (33-27) vs. Altoona Curve (34-31) - 7:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Sweep Fisher Cats, 9-4 - Bowie Baysox
- Medina Looks Like an Ace in 3-2 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.