Three Volcanoes Named to NWL 2019 Year-End All-Star Team
KEIZER - It seems only fitting that the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes, having arguably their best season of the decade, had three starters named to the prestigious 2019 Northwest League Year-End All-Star Team: Alexander Canario (OF), Franklin Labour (DH) and Kervin Castro (P).
"The Salem-Keizer Volcanoes have many storylines this exciting season so far, and this will carry on into the 2019 Northwest League playoffs," said Jerry Walker, Volcanoes co-owner. "We are proud of what Alexander, Franklin and Kervin have achieved, and I think if you asked any of them, they would equally credit all their team mates and coaches for being a part of this achievement."
Looking at the three Volcanoes Year-End All-Stars at time of publication:
- Alexander Canario (OF): In 46 games, Canario powered 8 home runs and 36 RBI while batting .300 and an on-base + slugging percentage of .901.
- Franklin Labour (DH): Labour's big numbers after 41 games with the Volcanoes earned a call-up to Augusta in the South Atlantic League. While with Salem-Keizer, Labour powered 14 home runs and 34 RBI with a .307 batting average and an on-base + slugging percentage of 1.030. Labour still was leading the league in home runs three weeks after getting called up to Augusta.
- Kervin Castro (P): Sporting an NWL-best low of 0.97 walks and hits per innings pitched, Castro has a 5-3 record with a 2.74 ERA in 13 games with 58 strikeouts in 65.2 innings pitched.
"What Alexander, Franklin and Kervin have achieved and represent is how versatile the 2019 Volcanoes as a team look heading into the playoffs," said Mickey Walker, Volcanoes senior consultant to ownership. "Being a professional baseball All-Star, at any level, is a true achievement. We also are proud of the example off-the-field and in the community that our All-Stars and the entire team has shown."
The Northwest League South Division playoffs start September 4 with the Volcanoes hosting a September 5 game 2, and if necessary, a September 6 winner-take-all game 3.
Order tickets today online at VolcanoesBaseball.com or by calling the box office: 503-390-2225.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Spokane Fans Make History 200,273 Fans Set New Attendance Record - Spokane Indians
- Three Volcanoes Named to NWL 2019 Year-End All-Star Team - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Dust Devils Clinch Playoff Berth - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Dust Devils Clinch Second Half Pennant with 8-5 Win over C's - Vancouver Canadians
- Canario, Aldrete Homers Fuel Volcanoes in 10-5 Win over Eugene - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Help Us Make History at Avista Stadium with 200K Fans - Spokane Indians
- Dust Devils Win Marathon Affair - Tri-City Dust Devils
- C's Post-Season Hopes Dashed in Extra Innings Marathon - Vancouver Canadians
- Canadians Acknowledge Players with Season-Ending Awards - Vancouver Canadians
- Hops Win, Even Series with Boise - Hillsboro Hops
- Hillsboro Responds with a 4-1 Win over Boise in Game Two - Boise Hawks
- Salem-Keizer Slams Way to Win in Seesaw Battle - Eugene Emeralds
- AquaSox Playoff Hopes Take Another Blow - Everett AquaSox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salem-Keizer Volcanoes Stories
- 5,000+ Sign Fan Petition for Volcanoes to Stay
- Volcanoes' Cancer Awareness Tradition to Continue
- Northwest League Postpones Start of 2020 Season
- Volcanoes Stadium to Host Drive-In Fireworks
- Volcanoes to Donate $5,000 in Tickets to Raise Funds for Local Food Banks