Three-Point Barrage Lifts Squadron Past Stars, 123-110
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Birmingham Squadron (1-3), NBA G League affiliate of the New Orleans Pelicans, notched their first regular season win Sunday afternoon, defeating the Salt Lake City Stars (1-3) 123-110.
Birmingham's effective three point shooting proved to be the key to victory as the Squadron knocked down 22 of 50 attempts from behind the arc (44.0%), pushing the team's lead to as many as 25 in the game. The Squadron's 22 threes tied for the most by a G League team in a single game this regular season, and ranks tied for second if you include this year's 14-game G League Showcase.
Leading the way for the Squadron was guard Joe Young's 32-point performance, his second game of 30+ points in just four games this regular season. Young is one of nine players in the G League this season to post two games of 30+ points. He also added three rebounds and seven assists in the contest.
Also key for Birmingham was Squadron guard Jared Harper, who posted a double-double with 22 points and 10 assists, his first double-double of 2021-22.
For the Stars, guard Carson Edwards led the way with a season-high 37 points, three rebounds and one steal, shooting an accurate 55.0% from the field on 11 of 20 attempts. Six Salt Lake City players scored in double digits, including forward Derrick Alston Jr. who posted a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds.
The Squadron look ahead to their next game in Legacy Arena, Friday night January 21 against the South Bay Lakers. Tip-Off is set for 7:00 p.m CT.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 16, 2022
- Wolves Move to 4-0 in Regular Season with 113-99 Road Win over South Bay - Iowa Wolves
- Capital City Acquires 1st-Round Pick, Ferrell in Trade with Salt Lake City - Capital City Go-Go
- Windy City Bulls Come up Short against Herd - Windy City Bulls
- Herd Hits Bullseye in Win over Windy City - Wisconsin Herd
- Late Rally Pushes Hustle over Force 107-99 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Three-Point Barrage Lifts Squadron Past Stars, 123-110 - Birmingham Squadron
- Blue Coats Top Gold 115-111 - Grand Rapids Gold
- Greensboro Swarm Will Play Tomorrow Versus Capital City Go-Go Without Fans for Safety Reasons - Greensboro Swarm
- Stars Defeated by Squadron - Salt Lake City Stars
- Fort Wayne Overwhelms Westchester - Westchester Knicks
- Skyforce Reacquires Javonte Smart - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Vipers Fall to Agua Caliente After Double Overtime - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Clippers Strike Down Vipers in Double-OT - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
- Carlik Jones Leads Sweep of Santa Cruz in OT Thriller - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Squadron Stories
- Birmingham Squadron Announces Six Priority Dates for 2022-23 Season
- Squadron Guard Jared Harper Earns All-NBA G League Third Team Honors
- Squadron Concludes Inaugural Season with Loss in Western Conference Quarterfinals
- Birmingham Squadron to Host Texas Legends in First Round of NBA G League Playoffs
- Squadron Secure Home Playoff Game with Fifth Straight Win