Vipers Fall to Agua Caliente After Double Overtime
ONTARIO, California - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (1-2) suffered a 115-117 loss in double overtime against the Agua Caliente Clippers (3-0) on Saturday night.
The Vipers defense was quick to apply pressure to the Clippers offense throughout the first quarter and the beginning of the second. With seven minutes remaining in the second quarter RGV led the game 41-29. However, with just four minutes remaining in the quarter the Clippers offense went full force against RGV and went on an 11-0 run narrowing the Vipers lead at halftime 47-43.
In the third quarter Agua Caliente picked up the momentum and grasped the lead of the game. The Clippers posted 34 points while only allowing RGV to score 25, sending the game 77-72 into the fourth quarter. The Clippers continued to lead in the fourth until there was five minutes remaining on the clock. RGV went on an 8-0 run and managed to tie the game 101-101 with just 2:30 left in the quarter. With one-minute remaining in the game Agua Caliente grasped a 103-101 lead over the Vipers but Houston Rockets two-way player Trevelin Queen recovered the ball from a Clippers turnover and tied the game 103-103 sending it to overtime.
In the first overtime RGV pulled away with a 108-105 lead, but after a Vipers foul with just 0.3 seconds remaining Agua Caliente would be granted three free throws worth one point each. Los Angeles Clippers assignee Keon Johnson would be put on the line to take the free throws and he delivered as he made all three shots for the team which pushed for a second overtime. Both teams would fight until the last second, but Agua Caliente would come out on top with a 117-115 victory.
Queen led the Vipers with 28 points, five rebounds and four assists. Houston Rockets two-way player Daishen Nix followed closely with 27 points, five rebounds, nine assists and four steals. Gerald Green almost reached a double-double with 22 points and nine rebounds. Marcus Foster contributed 11 points, five rebounds and five assists.
Agua Calientes Keaton Wallace led the night with 30 points, five rebounds and six assists. Nate Darling put up 22 points and seven rebounds. Both Moses Wright (20 points and 10 rebounds) and Johnson (15 points and 11 rebounds) obtained a double-double.
The Vipers continue their road trip on Monday, January 17 with tip-off set at 5 pm CST against the Austin Spurs at H-E-B Center at Cedar Park. For more information, please visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 16, 2022
- Wolves Move to 4-0 in Regular Season with 113-99 Road Win over South Bay - Iowa Wolves
- Capital City Acquires 1st-Round Pick, Ferrell in Trade with Salt Lake City - Capital City Go-Go
- Windy City Bulls Come up Short against Herd - Windy City Bulls
- Herd Hits Bullseye in Win over Windy City - Wisconsin Herd
- Late Rally Pushes Hustle over Force 107-99 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Three-Point Barrage Lifts Squadron Past Stars, 123-110 - Birmingham Squadron
- Blue Coats Top Gold 115-111 - Grand Rapids Gold
- Greensboro Swarm Will Play Tomorrow Versus Capital City Go-Go Without Fans for Safety Reasons - Greensboro Swarm
- Stars Defeated by Squadron - Salt Lake City Stars
- Fort Wayne Overwhelms Westchester - Westchester Knicks
- Skyforce Reacquires Javonte Smart - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Vipers Fall to Agua Caliente After Double Overtime - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Clippers Strike Down Vipers in Double-OT - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
- Carlik Jones Leads Sweep of Santa Cruz in OT Thriller - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Queen and Lamb Named to All-NBA G League Teams
- Vipers Crowned 2022 NBA G League Champions
- Vipers Clinch Win over Delaware in First Game of the G League Finals
- Best in the West: Vipers Crowned Western Conference Champions
- Vipers to Host Conference Finals at Home