Three Dogs Selected as American Association All-Stars
ROSEMONT, Ill. - The American Association of Independent Professional Baseball announced the 2019 All-Star teams Friday morning, and three members of the Chicago Dogs were named to the North division squad.
First baseman Keon Barnum, outfielder Victor Roache and starting pitcher Luke Westphal earned All-Star recognition in their first seasons with the Dogs.
Barnum has been a home run machine this season. The former Chicago White Sox first-round selection has slugged 13 home runs, which ranks second in the American Association. Barnum is hitting at a .307 batting average clip, with a team-leading .999 OPS. A majority of Barnum's blasts have been opposite field home runs. He is the North division's starting first baseman.
Roache has been Chicago's most consistent hitter, pacing the Dogs with a .326 average. The Michigan native has also tacked on 10 home runs, including a walk-off solo shot to take down Sioux Falls, 1-0, on May 29 at Impact Field. From May 21 to June 14, Roache reached base in 20 consecutive games.
No pitcher in the Association has been more dominant than Westphal. The lefthander has posted video game-like numbers this season. His first two starts of the year (11.2 innings) were hitless, and his first 28.1 innings of the season were scoreless. Westphal leads the league with 76 strikeouts, and he has recorded double-digit strikeouts in three starts. On the season, the Wisconsin native has a 7-1 record with a 2.36 ERA.
Barnum, Roache and Westphal are the first three All-Stars in Chicago Dogs history. The 2019 American Association All-Star Game will take place at CHS Field in St. Paul, Minnesota on Tuesday, July 23 at 7:05 PM.
Fans can tune in to The Chicago Dogs Baseball Network for a live broadcast of every Dogs game, with team broadcasters Sam Brief and Henrique DaMour on the call. Follow the team on social media - @TheChicagoDogs on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat - and use the hashtag #TakeABite. For more information, visit TheChicagoDogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 12, 2019
- 'Dogs Three-Game Streak Ends in Fargo - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 'Roaders Roll RailCats in Series Opener - Cleburne Railroaders
- Birds Rally Comes up Short against Dogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Cats Losing Streak Increases to Six in 13-2 Loss to Railroaders - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Roache's Ninth-Inning Blast Pushes Dogs Past Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Sign Former All-Star Infielder Chris Baker, Hard Throwing Reliever Ryan Smith - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Foursome Makes All-Star Team - Kansas City T-Bones
- Murphy Rewarded for Monster First Half, Diamondbacks Purchase Outfielder's Contract - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Sign RHP Spinnenweber to First Pro Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Four Canaries Make League All-Star Game - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Willis Named to American Association All-Star Game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Three Dogs Selected as American Association All-Stars - Chicago Dogs
- X's Get Four Named to 2019 South All-Star Team - Sioux City Explorers
- Three Goldeyes Headed to All-Star Game July 23rd - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 'Dogs Send Division-High Five Players to 2019 All-Star Game - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Four Railroaders Named to All-Star Team - Cleburne Railroaders
- 2019 American Association All-Stars Announced, Saints Lead Way with Seven Players, Including Five Starters - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Hold on to Beat Saints - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Dogs Walk-Off Goldeyes for Series Sweep - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Keon Barnum Selected as American Association MVP
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41
- Victor Roache Earns Third Player of the Week Honor
- Keon Barnum, Victor Roache Named Postseason American Association All-Stars
- Dogs Fall To Saints On Barnum's Historic Night