Birds Rally Comes up Short against Dogs
SIOUX FALLS, SD -- The Birds went from being no-hit into the seventh inning to tying the game but fell short in the ninth. The Birds (27-25) dropped the series opener to the Chicago Dogs (29-22) 4-3 on Friday.
Canaries starter Alex Boshers pitched seven innings. Five of the seven innings were 1-2-3 innings. In the sixth, he allowed one hit. His only rough inning was the second. He gave up three runs on five hits.
Chicago starter D.J. Snelten pitched six innings of no-hit ball. Brett Vertigan broke up the no-hitter in the bottom of the seventh with a single on a full-count pitch. Keven Taylor singled behind him and Burt Reynolds walked to load the bases. Alay Lago cut the lead to one with his RBI single. Two batters later, a Jordan Ebert sacrifice fly tied the game.
The game remained tied at three until Victor Roache homered in the top of the ninth. The Birds put the tying run on base but couldn't score in the bottom of the ninth.
The Canaries will be back in action Saturday when they take on the Chicago Dogs in game one of the series. The pre-game show is scheduled for 5:45 pm with first pitch scheduled for 6:05. Birds fans can listen on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN. For more information on game tickets, group outings or promotions, call the Canaries Front Office at (605) 336-6060, or visit the Canaries official website at www.sfcanaries.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 12, 2019
- 'Dogs Three-Game Streak Ends in Fargo - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 'Roaders Roll RailCats in Series Opener - Cleburne Railroaders
- Birds Rally Comes up Short against Dogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Cats Losing Streak Increases to Six in 13-2 Loss to Railroaders - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Roache's Ninth-Inning Blast Pushes Dogs Past Canaries - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Sign Former All-Star Infielder Chris Baker, Hard Throwing Reliever Ryan Smith - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Foursome Makes All-Star Team - Kansas City T-Bones
- Murphy Rewarded for Monster First Half, Diamondbacks Purchase Outfielder's Contract - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Sign RHP Spinnenweber to First Pro Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Four Canaries Make League All-Star Game - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Willis Named to American Association All-Star Game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Three Dogs Selected as American Association All-Stars - Chicago Dogs
- X's Get Four Named to 2019 South All-Star Team - Sioux City Explorers
- Three Goldeyes Headed to All-Star Game July 23rd - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 'Dogs Send Division-High Five Players to 2019 All-Star Game - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Four Railroaders Named to All-Star Team - Cleburne Railroaders
- 2019 American Association All-Stars Announced, Saints Lead Way with Seven Players, Including Five Starters - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Hold on to Beat Saints - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Dogs Walk-Off Goldeyes for Series Sweep - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.