The Azimuth Was Alright as Jaquez's Jack Puts Legends on Top
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends took the series finale over the Hagerstown Suns, 2-1. The Legends now improve to 57-61 while the Suns drop to 53-66.
The Legends plated their first run of the game in the bottom of the third inning. Jeison Guzman drew a leadoff walk then moved to third on a double by Rubendy Jaquez. Eric Cole then advanced to first on a catcher's interference call. With the bases loaded, Chris Hudings grounded into a double play, allowing Guzman to score and Lexington led, 1-0.
A solo blast by Drew Mendoza in the top of the fourth inning tied the game, 1-1.
Rubendy Jaquez then smashed a homer to right field and the Legends took the 2-1 lead in the bottom of the fifth inning.
Carlos Hernandez was awarded his first victory of the season, tossing 5.0 innings allowing one run on five hits while striking out six. Brandon Marklund was given the save pitching 2.0 shutout innings. Tomas Alastre was given the loss, throwing 5.0 innings allowing two runs on six hits while walking two and striking out four.
The Legends next welcome the Hickory Crawdads to Whitaker Bank Ballpark beginning tomorrow, August 12 at 7:05pm.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Rubendy Jaquez of the Lexington Legends
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 11, 2019
- Fireflies Win Greenville Series in Walk-Off Fashion - Columbia Fireflies
- Shewmake, Mejia Slam Augusta in 11-0 Rome Victory - Rome Braves
- Intimidators Lose Another Late Lead in Delmarva; Fall 4-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- RiverDogs Fall Short of Four-Game Sweep - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Rally Late to Steal K-Town Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Crawdads Take Series Finale 2-1 on Sunday - Hickory Crawdads
- Bush Punches out Career-High Nine in Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Rome Takes Series with 11-0 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- The Azimuth Was Alright as Jaquez's Jack Puts Legends on Top - Lexington Legends
- Suns Fall in Pitcher's Duel - Hagerstown Suns
- De Los Santos' Quality Start Sinks 'Claws in 6-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Power Top Claws 6-1 in Sunday Series FInale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 11) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 11 vs. Greenville (Game 115) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Overmatched by Shorebirds Pitching Saturday Night - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Michael Harris joins Braves from GCL, Noguera activated - Rome Braves
- Bill on Baseball: Toribio Dazzles as Hoppers Roll 8-0 - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Rome Earns Doubleheader Split on 1-0 Walk-Off Win - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Clinch Back-To-Back South Atlantic League Championships with Late Inning Theatrics
- Hickory Hands Lexington First Playoff Loss
- Legends Headed Back to SAL Championship Series
- Lexington's Emma Tiedemann Named SAL Media Relations Director of the Year
- Lexington Powers Down West Virginia with Doubleheader Sweep