De Los Santos' Quality Start Sinks 'Claws in 6-1 Win
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - Josias De Los Santos' quality start and Julio Rodriguez' four-hit performance guided West Virginia to a 6-1 win over the Lakewood BlueClaws Sunday afternoon at FirstEnergy Park.
The Power (24-25, 61-58) did not waste any time getting on the board, as Rodriguez sliced a double to the wall in right field and Bobby Honeyman singled him in to open the scoring. Lakewood (20-27, 49-68) answered with a run of their own in the bottom of the second on a Juan Aparicio RBI double that knotted the game at one.
Rodriguez stayed hot, as he led off the fourth inning with a single and Honeyman reached on an error at second base. A couple batters later, Onil Pena worked a walk to load the bases for Mike Salvatore, who plated Rodriguez from third on a sacrifice fly to right and broke the tie. Manny Pazos followed that up with a two-run double off Francisco Morales (1-6) into the right-center field gap that expanded the Power lead to 4-1.
De Los Santos (4-6) really settled in after the second inning and retired the next nine batters in order. He did not allow another run to score over the remainder of his six innings of work, registering his third quality start in his last four outings. De Los Santos received more run support in the top of the seventh thanks to a pair of RBI singles from Matt Sanders and Pena that made it 6-1 West Virginia.
Benjamin Onyshko entered in the seventh and spun a shutdown frame with two strikeouts despite a leadoff double from Malvin Matos. Elias Espino was called upon in the eighth and tossed a scoreless inning of his own. In the top of the ninth, Rodriguez scorched a line drive to the left side of the infield for his fourth hit of the game. The Power was unable to take advantage with the bases loaded and only one out, but Espino retired the side in order in the bottom half to close out the 6-1 West Virginia win.
The Power now travels south for a three-game series with the Delmarva Shorebirds beginning Monday evening at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. LHP Nate Fisher (0-1, 5.75 ERA) gets the ball for West Virginia, while Delmarva sends righty Hector Guance (8-5, 4.47 ERA) to the bump. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The Power returns to Appalachian Power Park on Thursday, August 15, as they welcome the Hagerstown Suns to town for a four-game series. The highlight of the homestand comes on Saturday, August 17, as the first 1,000 fans can get a Jarred Kelenic prospect T-shirt giveaway, courtesy of Marshall Orthopaedics. West Virginia will also host a special postgame fireworks show following the final out Saturday, presented by Constellium. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 11, 2019
- Fireflies Win Greenville Series in Walk-Off Fashion - Columbia Fireflies
- Shewmake, Mejia Slam Augusta in 11-0 Rome Victory - Rome Braves
- Intimidators Lose Another Late Lead in Delmarva; Fall 4-2 - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- RiverDogs Fall Short of Four-Game Sweep - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Rally Late to Steal K-Town Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Crawdads Take Series Finale 2-1 on Sunday - Hickory Crawdads
- Bush Punches out Career-High Nine in Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Rome Takes Series with 11-0 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- The Azimuth Was Alright as Jaquez's Jack Puts Legends on Top - Lexington Legends
- Suns Fall in Pitcher's Duel - Hagerstown Suns
- De Los Santos' Quality Start Sinks 'Claws in 6-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Power Top Claws 6-1 in Sunday Series FInale - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 11) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 11 vs. Greenville (Game 115) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Overmatched by Shorebirds Pitching Saturday Night - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Michael Harris joins Braves from GCL, Noguera activated - Rome Braves
- Bill on Baseball: Toribio Dazzles as Hoppers Roll 8-0 - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Rome Earns Doubleheader Split on 1-0 Walk-Off Win - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.