Rome Earns Doubleheader Split on 1-0 Walk-Off Win
ROME, GA - Rome ended a long day of baseball with a satisfying 1-0 win in walk-off fashion, concluding their doubleheader against Augusta with a split. With Ricardo Rodriguez at second base and nobody out in the Bottom of the 8th inning, Braulio Vasquez put down a sacrifice bunt. Augusta's Frankie Tostado attempted to nab the lead runner at third base but the throw missed wide, allowing Rodriguez to race home and score the winning run. The 1-0 victory gives Rome two shutouts over Augusta and a chance to win the series on Sunday.
After enduring a rain delay and extra innings the Braves eventually played 15 innings across two games Saturday at State Mutual Stadium. Game 1 started 46 minutes behind schedule due to the threat of rain and then Rome opened the scoring with a run in the 1st inning when Justin Dean scored on a Braden Shewmake ground ball. Leading 1-0 the Braves then surrendered 10 unanswered runs across the 3rd, 4th and 5th innings.
Augusta appeared to have the game under control with a 10-1 advantage but Rome refused to go quietly. The Braves scored four runs on just one hit in the 5th, a rally highlighted by a Greg Cullen RBI single. Rome added two additional runs in the 6th on a Dean RBI single and a balk. The tying run came to the plate in the 6th but the Braves never got closer than three runs, dropping Game 1 by the final score of 10-7.
Game 2 was dominated by pitching as Rome starter RHP Ryan Shetter and Augusta starter LHP Seth Corry each provided stellar performances. Shetter completed 5 scoreless innings and allowed only two hits and one walk while striking out two. It was Shetter's longest outing of the season. Rome relievers RHP's Kasey Kalich and Luis Mora took it the rest of the way and gave the offense a chance to pull out the win. The bunt by Vasquez brought home Rodriguez and the Braves erupted in celebration on the field, winning 1-0 and drawing to within 3 games in the Southern Division race.
Cullen was 4-6 with a walk and an RBI in the doubleheader. Dean went 1-5 with a walk, an RBI, three runs scored and a stolen base. He was also hit by a pitch.
Rome and Augusta conclude their four game series on Sunday afternoon at State Mutual Stadium. Game 4 is scheduled for 2 pm. Rome will start LHP Dilmer Mejia (6-2, 2.52) while Augusta is expected to start RHP Keith Weisenberg (1-2, 4.19).
Rome Braves (23-24, 53-63): 7 R 6 H 1 E
Augusta GreenJackets (27-20, 63-52): 10 R 8 H 3 E
W: Preston White (3-3)
L: Ricky DeVito (0-1)
Time: 3:01 (:46 delay)
Rome Braves (24-24, 54-63) 1 R 2 H 0 E
Augusta GreenJackets (27-21, 63-53) 0 R 2 H 1 E
W: Luis Mora (2-0)
L: Ryan Walker (2-2)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 11, 2019
- Fireflies Win Greenville Series in Walk-Off Fashion - Columbia Fireflies
- Shewmake, Mejia Slam Augusta in 11-0 Rome Victory - Rome Braves
- Intimidators Lose Another Late Lead in Delmarva; Fall 4-2 - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- RiverDogs Fall Short of Four-Game Sweep - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Rally Late to Steal K-Town Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Crawdads Take Series Finale 2-1 on Sunday - Hickory Crawdads
- Bush Punches out Career-High Nine in Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Rome Takes Series with 11-0 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- The Azimuth Was Alright as Jaquez's Jack Puts Legends on Top - Lexington Legends
- Suns Fall in Pitcher's Duel - Hagerstown Suns
- De Los Santos' Quality Start Sinks 'Claws in 6-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Power Top Claws 6-1 in Sunday Series FInale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 11) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 11 vs. Greenville (Game 115) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Overmatched by Shorebirds Pitching Saturday Night - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Michael Harris joins Braves from GCL, Noguera activated - Rome Braves
- Bill on Baseball: Toribio Dazzles as Hoppers Roll 8-0 - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Rome Earns Doubleheader Split on 1-0 Walk-Off Win - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.