Teddy Bear Toss, Keep Kids Warm Set for Saturday Night
BOISE, Idaho - One of the most celebrated traditions returns this Saturday night as the Idaho Steelheads, in partnership with the United States Marine Corps and the Idaho Steelheads Booster Club, host the 22nd annual Teddy Bear Toss For Tots on December 7 at 7:10 p.m. at CenturyLink Arena when they host the Allen Americans.
The Teddy Bear Toss For Tots is an annual charity drive held every December to bring the Treasure Valley community together in helping children in need throughout Idaho receive something special during the holiday season. The Steelheads invite fans to bring new or gently-used unbreakable stuffed or plush toy of all shapes and sizes to Saturday's game, and after the Steelheads score their first goal of the night, everyone in attendance tosses their animals onto the ice.
All toys will be collected by the U.S. Marine Corps immediately following the goal, counted, and donated to the Toys For Tots campaign.
If fans are unable to bring their own toys, the Idaho Steelheads Booster Club will have a table to purchase one at the front doors with proceeds going toward local children. Those that cannot make the game but want to donate a stuffed or plush toy can do so at the Steelheads Front Office on Level E of The Grove Hotel or also at The Grove Hotel Front Desk. Donations will be accepted through Saturday.
The event has not only quickly become a fan favorite but also popular across the hockey community. Last year, the Steelheads set a new team record for the third-straight season with 7,085 stuffed toys and also collected over $4,000 in cash donations. Just last weekend, the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL) set a new world record at 45,650 stuffed animals at their Teddy Bear Toss game.
"The Teddy Bear Toss For Tots is an event we always look forward to and circle on our calendars each season," said Steelheads President Eric Trapp. "This is something all fans can participate in during the holiday season to help out local kids by donating some time and a stuffed animal or two toward the cause. We are incredibly appreciative of the Idaho Steelheads Booster Club and the Marine Corps to make this happen now for 22 years."
"Every year, we're able to provide thousands of toys as well as thousands of dollars in donations from sales to help fill the gaps for local kids in need," said Rocci Johnson, Co-Founder of the Booster Club. "The Idaho Steelheads Booster Club has had such a great partnership with the Marine Corps. over the years to help supply a large percentage of the Marine Corps. Toys For Tots Program, and this is our favorite event for the community give back and the enthusiasm from fans."
In addition, Saturday is the second of two activations for Keep Kids Warm, in partnership with Intermountain Gas and Kissin 92.3FM. Fans can bring new or gently-used coats to the Steelheads Front Office and receive up to four tickets for Saturday's game for free. The last activation on November 23 helped to bring in the team's third sellout of the season.
The National Anthem will be performed on guitar by Marine Corps. Sgt. Dan Cord from American Hitmen, a band based out Salt Lake City that was featured on America's Got Talent.
The Teddy Bear Toss is the third of a three-game series against the Allen Americans beginning on Wednesday, Dec. 4. Tickets for all three games on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday are available by calling 208-331-TIXS(8497) or going to idahosteelheads.com. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:10 p.m. in all three games.
The Steelheads host the Allen Americans for a three-game weekend beginning on Wednesday, Dec. 4 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2019
- Cyclones Overcome Third Period Deficit to Win on the Road - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Unravel in Final Period, Fall 3-2 to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Growlers Rally to Beat the Royals 5-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Cuddemi Scores Two More in OT Loss, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Killins Assigned to the Rush by Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- 'Blades Weekly: Rematch with Stingrays Lies Ahead - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 3 - ECHL
- Fiore Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week - Rapid City Rush
- Weis Re-Assigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rapid City's Fiore Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Brent Gates Jr. Recalled by San Diego - Tulsa Oilers
- Teddy Bear Toss, Keep Kids Warm Set for Saturday Night - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dakota Joshua Reassigned to San Antonio - Tulsa Oilers
- Brampton's Dubeau Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Lightning Reassign Sosunov to Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners to Collect Socks and Underwear in Winter Months - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Pregame Notes: December 3 vs. Reading Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals at Frequently-Seen Growlers for Back-To-Back - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Set New Teddy Bear Toss Record, Donate 8,088 Toys
- Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting
- Steelheads, St. Luke's Go "Under The Sea" for Nickelodeon Night This Saturday
- Steelheads Weekly
- Steelheads Score Early, Fall Late in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Allen