Syracuse Grabs Bonus Point with Shootout Win
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The Binghamton Senators fell 5-4 to the Syracuse Crunch following a 3 on 3 overtime and five rounds of a shootout.
The Binghamton Senators opened the scoring 1:19 into the first period courtesy of a power-play goal from Matt Puempel. Working the game's first man advantage, newly acquired center Phil Varone found Puempel alone just below the right faceoff dot who then rifled home his 14th goal of the season. Just shy of the four-minute mark, Jerome Leduc, who was also acquired in last night's seven-player trade with the Buffalo Sabres, sent a slap shot towards a crowded crease that trickled past Adam Wilcox to make it 2-0 Binghamton. The B-Sens outshot the visiting Crunch 15-8 over the opening 20 minutes of play to keep their two-goal lead heading into the first intermission.
Binghamton added one goal over the middle frame to increase their lead to 3-0. Following another successful penalty kill from the B-Sens, Jason Akeson, the third player sent over from Buffalo in last night's trade, jumped on a turnover in the Crunch zone before finding Puempel who beat Wilcox for his second tally of the night. Syracuse outshot Binghamton 6-5 through the second period, but Chris Driedger answered to keep the visitors off the scoreboard.
Syracuse scored three goals over a 10 minute span in the final frame to tie up the game. Mike Blunden notched his 17th and 18th goals of the year before Joel Vermin evened the game up 3-3 with his 4th of the year. Michael Kostka pushed the B-Sens out to a 4-3 lead with 49 seconds remaining, but Tye McGinn scored with 9 seconds left in regulation to send the game to overtime.
Despite a fast paced overtime, the team's had to move to a shootout to determine a winner where Akeson scored for the home team, but Blunden and Matthew Peca both notched goals to give Syracuse the 5-4 win after five rounds.
Driedger finished with 31 saves in the losing effort while Wilcox had 28 stops to earn the win.
The B-Sens are back on home ice both Friday and Saturday when they play the Hershey Bears and Lehigh Valley Phantoms in 7:05p.m. matchups. Fans can purchase tickets by calling the B-Sens Executive Office Monday-Thursday from 9:00a.m. - 5:30p.m. or Friday and Saturday from 8:00a.m. - the game's second intermission. Fans can also purchase tickets through the Arena Box Office and all Ticketmaster outlets during normal business hours by visiting www.ticketmaster.com or at 1-800-745-3000.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 28, 2016
- Goals 19-Seconds Apart in Second Give Heat 3-2 Victory in San Antonio Finale - Stockton Heat
- Rampage Come up Short at Stockton 3-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Organization Acquires Ryan Bourque - Hershey Bears
- Ryan Bourque Traded to Washington for Chris Brown - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Come Back to Defeat Senators, 5-4, in Five-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Comeback Kids...Again: Phantoms Rally in 3rd at Hartford - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lehigh Valley Breaks Wolf Pack Hex, 2-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Miele's OT Goal Caps Rally, Makes it Five Straight for Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Grabs Bonus Point with Shootout Win - Binghamton Senators
- Bridgeport drops Sunday decision to Albany - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Cruise Past Comets, Claim Division Lead - Hershey Bears
- Devils Continue to Find Success, Down Sound Tigers 4-1 - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Charlotte - February 28 - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Fall Short of Three-In-Three Sweep - Utica Comets
- Wolves Clipped by Griffins in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Jarry's 47 Saves Not Enough in 3-2 Loss to Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Captain Strikes Twice, Altshuller Shines in 2-1 Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Ice WBS Penguins, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Sunk in Third Period, Lose to Pirates - Springfield Falcons
- Blackhawks Agree to Terms with Carruth - Rockford IceHogs
- Rangers Assign Marek Hrivik to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Complete Season Series with San Antonio Today Starting at 4PM - Stockton Heat
- Jesper Pettersson Reassinged to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Welcome Back Copley And Schmaltz - Chicago Wolves
- Manitoba Moose Post-Game Report - Manitoba vs. Charlotte - February 27 - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Can't Hang On, Fall in OT, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Agozzino's Overtime Winner Lifts Rampage over Condors - San Antonio Rampage
- Rockford Rallies to Earn Point in 3-2 OT Loss to Monsters - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Complete Regular-Season Series Sweep of Stars with 5-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Drop Final Game of Road Trip - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Close out Big February with 5-2 Win over San Jose - San Diego Gulls