Syracuse Crunch Weekly â?? January 15, 2019
Wed., Jan. 9 - Crunch at Binghamton - L, 4-0
Fri., Jan. 11 - Crunch vs. Cleveland - SOL, 4-3
Sat., Jan. 12 - Crunch at Utica - L, 3-2
Wed., Jan. 16 - Crunch at Utica - 7 p.m.
Fri., Jan. 18 - Crunch vs. Belleville - 7 p.m.
Sat., Jan. 19 - Crunch at Binghamton - 7:05 p.m.
Mon., Jan. 21 - Crunch vs. Binghamton - 1 p.m.
CRUNCH GO WITHOUT A WIN IN WEEK 15
The Crunch's winless streak hit a season-high four games (0-3-0-1) after they dropped three decisions in Week 15. Syracuse has collected only one win in the first six games of 2019 after closing 2018 on a five-game winning streak.
In their first game of the week, the Crunch were shut out for only the second time this season in a 4-0 loss to the Binghamton Devils. It was the Crunch's first loss of the season in seven games against the Devils. Syracuse limited Binghamton to 10 shots on goal, a new Crunch franchise record for fewest shots allowed in a game.
Friday night, the Crunch held a 3-2 lead late in the third period against the Cleveland Monster, but the Monsters rallied to tie the game in the final minute and eventually won in a shootout, 4-3. Saturday night, the Crunch dug a 2-0 hole and their third-period comeback fell short in a 3-2 loss to the Utica Comets.
The Crunch aim to get back in the win column with four games in six days against three North Division teams this week.
Defenseman Cameron Gaunce led the Crunch with three points-all assists-in Week 15. He had one assist Friday night against Cleveland and then recorded his 10th multi-point performance of the season with two assists Saturday in Utica. Saturday's game was the 28-year-old's 600th professional game. The first of his two assists that night was his 200th career AHL point.
Gaunce ranks third among AHL defensemen with 30 points and his 24 assists are tied for second. It is only the second time in his pro career that he has reached 30 points in a season; Gaunce's career high is 37 points (2g, 35a) in 75 games with Portland in 2015-16. He has matched his career high with six goals while his 10 multi-point games are a new career best and are currently tied for the second-most on the team.
Rookie forward Alex Barré-Boulet recorded his second multi-goal game of the season Friday against the Cleveland Monsters. He scored the game's first game and then tied the game at two in the second period. The 21-year-old leads the Crunch and is tied for second among AHL rookies with 18 goals. His 35 points are tied for second among first-year players.
His two-goal performance was also his 10th multi-point performance of the season, which is tied with Cameron Gaunce and Cory Conacher for second-most on the Crunch. Although neither of his two goals Friday night came on the man advantage, Barré-Boulet leads the AHL with 11 power-play goals. No AHL rookie has scored more than 11 power-play goals since Providence's Frank Vatrano (12) in 2015-16.
Cameron Gaunce was not the only Crunch player to hit a career milestone Saturday in Utica.
Cory Conacher netted his 15th goal of the season late in the third period to reach 400 career pro points. The majority of those (267) have come in the AHL; Conacher also has 74 in the NHL, 52 in the Swiss league and seven in the ECHL.
Andy Andreoff collected an assist on the Crunch's first goal Saturday night. It was his 100th AHL point (45g, 55a) in his 193rd AHL game.
UPCOMING: UTICA, BELLEVILLE, BINGHAMTON
The Crunch play four games in six days in Week 16; it is one of two such stretches for the Crunch this season.
The week begins Wednesday in Utica for the second straight match with the Utica Comets. It's the sixth overall meeting in the Galaxy Cup Series; Utica has won two straight against the Crunch since Jan. 2 and leads the series 3-2. The Comets defeated the Crunch, 3-2, Saturday at the Adirondack Bank Center to jump past Syracuse in the North Division standings with 46 points, although the Comets have played six more games than the Crunch this season.
The Crunch are home Friday against Belleville in their final home match with the Senators this season. The Crunch earned a pair of wins in a two-game set in Syracuse to begin November. Belleville's 38 points are the fewest in the division.
Syracuse then plays two games in three days against Binghamton. The Crunch are in Binghamton for the final time this season Saturday night and then they host the Devils Monday afternoon. The Crunch are 6-1-0-0 against the Devils.
WEEK 15 RESULTS
Wednesday, January 9 | Game 34 at Binghamton | L, 4-0
Syracuse 0 0 0 - 0 Shots: 12-11-12-35 PP: 0/7
Binghamton 1 0 3 - 4 Shots: 5-3-2-10 PP: 0/2
Goalies-Syracuse, Pasquale 12-6-2 (9 shots-6 saves). Binghamton, Cormier 2-1-0 (35 shots-35 saves). A-2,814
Friday, January 11 | Game 35 vs. Cleveland | SOL, 4-3
CLE 0 2 1 0 1 - 4 Shots: 10-12-6-0-1-29 PP: 1/4
SYR 1 1 1 0 0 - 3 Shots: 12-10-11-7-0-40 PP: 0/3
1st Period-Barré-Boulet 17 (Colton, Gaunce), 5:47. 2nd Period-Barré-Boulet 18 (Verhaeghe, Dumont), 15:58. 3rd Period-Verhaeghe 15 (Dumont, Foote), 4:31. Shootout-Cleveland 1 (Gerbe NG, Letestu NG, Clendening NG, DeSalvo NG, Korostelev G) Syracuse 0 (Barré-Boulet NG, Verhaeghe NG, Conacher NG, Raddysh NG, Volkov NG). . . . Pasquale 12-6-3 (28 shots-25 saves). A-5,617
Saturday, January 12 | Game 36 at Utica | L, 3-2
Syracuse 0 0 2 - 2 Shots: 10-9-11-30 PP: 0/4
Utica 1 1 1 - 3 Shots: 8-8-10-26 PP: 1/5
3rd Period-Katchouk 6 (Gaunce, Andreoff), 4:01. Conacher 15 (Valleau, Gaunce), 19:31. . . . Pasquale 12-7-3 (26 shots-23 saves). A-3,917
Category Average/Total AHL Rank (Prev)
Power Play 24.0% (40-for-167) 3rd (1st)
Penalty Kill 82.4% (145-for-176) T-10th (10th)
Goals For 3.69 GFA (133) T-1st (1st)
Goals Against 2.78 GAA (100) T-2nd (T-2nd)
Shots For 29.03 SF/G (1045) 21st (21st)
Shots Against 28.92 SA/G (1173) 13th (16th)
Penalty Minutes 14.39 PIM/G (518) 9th (9th)
Points 42 Verhaeghe
Goals 18 Barré-Boulet
Assists 26 Verhaeghe
PIM 57 Andreoff
Plus/Minus +15 Gaunce
Wins 12 Pasquale
GAA 2.44 Ingram
Save % 0.920 Ingram
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2019
- Bridgeport suffers first shutout this season in setback at Bojangles Coliseum - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Bridgeport in Front of Sold-Out Crowd - Charlotte Checkers
- Stars Recall Robbie Payne and Nolan Gluchowski from Idaho - Texas Stars
- Senators Release Carlisle from PTO - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Matthew Spencer to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly â?? January 15, 2019 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Opens Four-Game Road Trip this Week - Hershey Bears
- 2019 AHL All-Star Classic Coming to NHL Network, Sportsnet - AHL
- IceHogs, Manning Mutually Agree to Release from SPC - Rockford IceHogs
- The Rocket this Week - Laval Rocket
- Nashville Assigns Di Giuseppe to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Marlies Announce Connor Brown Bobblehead Night - Toronto Marlies
- Gambardella Assigned to Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Division-Leading Griffins Tour Through Illinois, Host Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Sign Michael Leighton to PTO, Release Sakellaropoulos - Utica Comets
- Weekly: Penguins Host Three-Game Home Stand, Including Monday Matinee - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Battle Checkers in Mid-Week Slate - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Top Milwaukee in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Rau's Hat Trick Lifts Wild to 3-2 Victory against San Diego - Iowa Wild
- Cracknell's Late Goal Earns Gulls Point in OT Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Manitoba - Milwaukee Admirals
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward Peter Abbandonato to AHL Contract
- Syracuse Crunch Announce New Hire
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Daniel Walcott to One-Year Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Acquire Seventh Round Pick in 2021 from Nashville Predators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to One-Year Contract