Switchbacks FC Defy Odds to Complete Comeback in Season Finale
San Antonio, TX - Down a man and down two goals, the Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC battled back for a gritty 2-2 draw on the road to San Antonio FC in the 2019 season finale.
The Switchbacks came out as the aggressors in the early stages of the game. The pressure nearly paid off as Austin Dewing scored off his back from a corner kick that was judged to be offside in the opening five minutes. At the half-hour mark, Abdul Rwatubyaye was shown a red card for a tackle inside of the penalty area. Pecka buried the penalty to give San Antonio the lead as the Switchbacks would have to play the final 60 minutes down to 10 players.
San Antonio was awarded another penalty shortly after half-time, this time Jack Barmby finished from the spot to give the hosts the 2-0 lead. Jordan Burt found himself high up the field in the 68th minute as he put in a hard cross on the ground that Ebenezer Ackon turned into his own net to pull a goal back for the Switchbacks. With only seven minutes from full time, Ish Jome whipped in a free-kick to a rising Tucker Bone who headed home his first professional goal to equalize for the Switchbacks. San Antonio had the ball in the back of the net late, but it was also judged to be played by a player in an offside position. Bone's first professional goal proved to be the deciding goal that pushed San Antonio FC below the playoff line at full time, as current results had New Mexico United beating the Las Vegas Lights FC 1-0 at half time.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 19, 2019
- San Antonio FC Ends Season with 2-2 Home Draw vs. Colorado Springs - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC, Sporting Director Andrew Bell Part Ways - Memphis 901 FC
- Memphis 901 FC Concludes Inaugural Season - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC Fall 3-1 on the Road in Their Last Regular Season Game - Ottawa Fury FC
- Switchbacks FC Defy Odds to Complete Comeback in Season Finale - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-0 at Nashville SC - Atlanta United 2
- Rowdies to Open Playoffs in Louisville - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Closes out Inaugural USL Championship Season with 2-1 Win at the Death - Hartford Athletic
- Pickens Wins Golden Glove and Sits Atop USL Championship with 14 Clean Sheets - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Closes out Regular Season with Thrilling 1-0 Win as Captain Austin Da Luz Is Honored - North Carolina FC
- Loudoun United Defeat the New York Red Bulls II 7-3 at Segra Field - Loudoun United FC
- Nashville Moves into First Place with Win in Final Regular Season Match - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven to Host New York Red Bulls II in Postseason Opener Next Saturday at Carroll Stadium - Indy Eleven
- Independence Go out with a Bang - Charlotte Independence
- Reno 1868 FC Clinches Second Seed in the Western Conference - Reno 1868 FC
- STLFC Season Ends with 1-0 Loss Away to North Carolina FC - Saint Louis FC
- Match Preview: #HFDvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Bethlehem Steel FC Buried by Charleston - Philadelphia Union II
- Real Monarchs SLC Clinch Home Playoff Match with 3-0 Win over Sacramento Republic FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Republic FC Downed in Utah, Play-In Game Wednesday Guaranteed - Sacramento Republic FC
- Battery Clinch Postseason Spot After Dominant Display - Charleston Battery
- How to Follow: Nashville SC vs. Atlanta United 2 - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Looking to Continue Strong Run in Playoff Tune-Up vs. Atlanta United 2 - Nashville SC
- GameDay: LouCity at Memphis 901 FC - Louisville City FC
- Phoenix Rising Caps Historic 2019 Regular Season with 3-1 Win over OKC Energy on $1 Beer Night - Phoenix Rising FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Stories
- Switchbacks FC Re-Sign Austin Dewing
- Switchbacks FC Re-Sign George Lebese
- Switchbacks FC Sign Steven Echevarria
- Alan Koch Steps Down as Head Coach of Switchbacks FC
- Switchbacks FC Exercise Aidan Daniels Contract Option for 2021