Real Monarchs SLC Clinch Home Playoff Match with 3-0 Win over Sacramento Republic FC
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Monarchs SLC (16-10-8, 56 points) earned a critical three points with a 3-0 win over Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday in front of 2,131 fans at Zions Bank Stadium.
DF Kalen Ryden, MF Luke Mulholland and FW Douglas Martinez each recorded goals in the victory while GK David Ochoa recorded three saves and paired with the backline to secure his 4th clean sheet of the season.
The match got off to a quiet start as both sides traded possession through the middle of the park. The visitors held the better chances in the early stages, testing the Monarchs backline who had the answers to keep the Republic FC attack at bay. The momentum began to shift in the Monarchs favor and it ultimately paid off shortly before the break. From the set-piece, Ryden headed the ball into the crossbar where MF Maikel Chang knocked the ball back into the air. Ryden was quick to try the header again, this time finding the net for the opening goal and the Monarchs lead at the end of the half.
The contest opened up for the Monarchs after the break and shortly after the start the half, the Utah club found its second goal through Mulholland. MF Tate Schmitt latched on to the long ball and sent a forward pass in Mulholland's path, who took one touch to the far side of the net in the 50th minute. Just ten minutes later Martinez added to his team-leading goal count, rifling a shot from an indirect freekick in the penalty area that bounced off a defender's foot and the underside of the crossbar for the Monarchs third at the 61st minute. Though Republic FC started to mount an attack to attempt a comeback, the Monarchs held firm and held the lead for the 3-0 win.
UP NEXT: The 2019 regular season has come to end and Real Monarchs SLC will be heading into the playoffs with a home game. While the opponent has yet to be determined, the contest is scheduled for Saturday, October 26 at Zions Bank Stadium with a 1:00 p.m. MT kickoff time.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN
SLC: Kalen Ryden (Maikel Chang), 45th minute: From the set-piece served in by Jack Blake, Ryden got his head to the ball and bounced off the crossbar back into the crowded box. Chang was quick to react and bounce the ball back in the air where Ryden tried again, this time finding the net.
SLC: Luke Mulholland (Tate Schmitt), 50th minute: After latching onto the long ball on the far end of the pitch, Schmitt beat his defender as Mulholland found the gaps in the Sacramento backline. Schmitt sent his forward pass into Mulholland's path who poked the ball into the far side to double the Monarchs lead.
SLC: Douglas Martinez (Justin Portillo), 61st minute: Real Monarchs earned an indirect freekick within the penalty area after the Republic FC goalkeeper picked up the ball from the backward pass. Portillo tapped the ball and Martinez rocketed the shot that deflected off the foot of a defender then the underside the crossbar and behind the line.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS
SAC: Bobby Shuttleworth, 35th minute: In the first strong opportunity the Monarchs had on goal, DF Noah Powder took a crack from distance that curved to find the bottom corner of the near post. Shuttleworth was quick on the response however, reaching out to protect the goal.
- Midfielder Ricardo Avila (ankle) and Defender James Moberg (hamstring) out of action due to injury.
- The Monarchs Starting XI only saw one change from it's 2-2 draw against Austin Bold FC last Wednesday, as DF Konrad Plewa stepped in for DF Steve Jasso.
- For the third consecutive year, Real Monarchs finished its regular season in the Top-Four of the Western Conference, securing the right to host in the USL Championship playoffs.
- MF Luke Mulholland tallied his first goal for the Monarchs in 2019 becoming the 22nd player to score for the club in 2019.
- FW Douglas Martinez secured the club's Golden Boot with his 16th goal in the 61st minute of the match.
- The Monarchs will now embark on its third consecutive playoff run, beginning next Saturday at Zions Bank Stadium.
Match: Real Monarchs SLC vs Sacramento Republic FC
Date: October 19, 2019
Venue: Zions Bank Stadium
Weather: 50 degrees and overcast
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Monarchs SLC 1 2 3
Sacramento Republic FC 0 0 0
SLC - Kalen Ryden (Maikel Chang), 45'
SLC - Luke Mulholland (Tate Schmitt), 50'
SLC - Douglas Martinez (Justin Portillo), 61'
Real Monarchs SLC (3-5-2): David Ochoa; Erik Holt, Kalen Ryden, Noah Powder, Konrad Plewa, Luke Mulholland (Sam Brown, 69'), Tate Schmitt (Steve Jasso, 81'), Justin Portillo, Maikel Chang, Jack Blake (Luis Arriaga, 80'), Douglas Martinez
Subs not used: Evan Finney, Kyle Coffee, Julian Vazquez, Damian German
Sacramento Republic FC (3-4-2-1): Bobby Shuttleworth; Jordan McCrary, Matthew Mahoney, Charalampos Chantzopoulos, Mitchell Taintor, Jaime Villareal (Keven Aleman, 63'), Thomas Enevoldsen (Dariusz Formella, 63'), Sam Werner, Villyan Bijev, Drew Skundrich, Cameron Iwasa (Stefano Bonomo, 75')
Subs not used: Hayden Partain, Dekel Keinan, Ray Saari, Rafael Diaz
Stats Summary: SLC/SAC
Shots: 12 / 9
Shots on Goal: 4 / 3
Saves: 3 / 1
Corner Kicks: 3 / 6
Fouls: 12 / 8
Offside: 1 / 2
SAC - Jaime Villarreal (Caution) 24'
SAC - Mitchell Taintor (Caution) 44'
SLC - Luke Mulholland (Caution) 48'
SLC - Jack Blake (Caution) 56'
SLC - Douglas Martinez (Caution) 83'
Referee: Elvis Osmanovic
Assistant Referees: Christian Lara, Cameron Siler
4th Official: Karsten Gillwald
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 19, 2019
- San Antonio FC Ends Season with 2-2 Home Draw vs. Colorado Springs - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC, Sporting Director Andrew Bell Part Ways - Memphis 901 FC
- Memphis 901 FC Concludes Inaugural Season - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC Fall 3-1 on the Road in Their Last Regular Season Game - Ottawa Fury FC
- Switchbacks FC Defy Odds to Complete Comeback in Season Finale - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-0 at Nashville SC - Atlanta United 2
- Rowdies to Open Playoffs in Louisville - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Closes out Inaugural USL Championship Season with 2-1 Win at the Death - Hartford Athletic
- Pickens Wins Golden Glove and Sits Atop USL Championship with 14 Clean Sheets - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Closes out Regular Season with Thrilling 1-0 Win as Captain Austin Da Luz Is Honored - North Carolina FC
- Loudoun United Defeat the New York Red Bulls II 7-3 at Segra Field - Loudoun United FC
- Nashville Moves into First Place with Win in Final Regular Season Match - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven to Host New York Red Bulls II in Postseason Opener Next Saturday at Carroll Stadium - Indy Eleven
- Independence Go out with a Bang - Charlotte Independence
- Reno 1868 FC Clinches Second Seed in the Western Conference - Reno 1868 FC
- STLFC Season Ends with 1-0 Loss Away to North Carolina FC - Saint Louis FC
- Match Preview: #HFDvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Bethlehem Steel FC Buried by Charleston - Philadelphia Union II
- Real Monarchs SLC Clinch Home Playoff Match with 3-0 Win over Sacramento Republic FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Republic FC Downed in Utah, Play-In Game Wednesday Guaranteed - Sacramento Republic FC
- Battery Clinch Postseason Spot After Dominant Display - Charleston Battery
- How to Follow: Nashville SC vs. Atlanta United 2 - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Looking to Continue Strong Run in Playoff Tune-Up vs. Atlanta United 2 - Nashville SC
- GameDay: LouCity at Memphis 901 FC - Louisville City FC
- Phoenix Rising Caps Historic 2019 Regular Season with 3-1 Win over OKC Energy on $1 Beer Night - Phoenix Rising FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.