STLFC Season Ends with 1-0 Loss Away to North Carolina FC
RALEIGH, NC - Saint Louis FC ended their 2019 season with a 1-0 loss away to North Carolina FC in front of 5,982 fans at WakeMed Soccer Park in Match 34 of the USL Championship regular season.
North Carolina FC scored the winning goal in the 90th minute through St. Louis-native Robbie Kristo to claim all three points and knock Saint Louis FC out of playoff contention. The result sees Saint Louis FC finish the season with a 11-14-9 record and 42 points while North Carolina FC improves to 16-10-8 with 56 points in the USL Championship Eastern Conference.
The first half saw few chances created for either side as Saint Louis FC entered the game knowing a win would be needed in order to have a chance to make the playoffs. The first chance arrived in the 29th minute as STLFC goalkeeper Tomas Gomez was called to make a point-blank save on Marios Lomis at the near post. The next chance then fell to Steven Miller in the 35th minute as his shot from the top of the box just trickled wide of the far post. The final opportunity of the first half came from the last kick as Dre Fortune hit the ball on the volley and Gomez was there to tip the shot over the net in first half stoppage time to see both sides level at the break.
The second half saw Saint Louis FC put on the pressure but North Carolina would create the first scoring opportunity as Gomez made another strong save and collected the ball on the goal line in the 49th minute. The best chances for the away side would come soon after as Phanuel Kavita had a free header flash over the goal in the 52nd minute before Bradley Kamdem Fewo had a shot at close-range saved by North Carolina goalkeeper Alex Tambakis in the 55th minute. North Carolina FC would respond with a shot from Miller that Gomez handled comfortably in the 74th minute before he would make another good reflex save on a deflected effort after a two-on-one situation in the 86th minute. North Carolina FC would steal the win right before stoppage time, however, as substitute Kristo got on the end of a free kick to head past his former club teammate Gomez in the 90th minute to end Saint Louis FC's playoff hopes and seal their 7th place finish in the Eastern Conference to host either Birmingham Legion FC or Charleston Battery in the USL Championship Playoffs play-in game on Wednesday.
"Disappointing end to a rollercoaster of a season," said STLFC Head Coach Anthony Pulis. "There's been far too many games where we've thrown points away because of our own doing, tonight included. A period of reflection now needs to take place and we will see how we all move forward from here."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 19, 2019
- San Antonio FC Ends Season with 2-2 Home Draw vs. Colorado Springs - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC, Sporting Director Andrew Bell Part Ways - Memphis 901 FC
- Memphis 901 FC Concludes Inaugural Season - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC Fall 3-1 on the Road in Their Last Regular Season Game - Ottawa Fury FC
- Switchbacks FC Defy Odds to Complete Comeback in Season Finale - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-0 at Nashville SC - Atlanta United 2
- Rowdies to Open Playoffs in Louisville - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Closes out Inaugural USL Championship Season with 2-1 Win at the Death - Hartford Athletic
- Pickens Wins Golden Glove and Sits Atop USL Championship with 14 Clean Sheets - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Closes out Regular Season with Thrilling 1-0 Win as Captain Austin Da Luz Is Honored - North Carolina FC
- Loudoun United Defeat the New York Red Bulls II 7-3 at Segra Field - Loudoun United FC
- Nashville Moves into First Place with Win in Final Regular Season Match - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven to Host New York Red Bulls II in Postseason Opener Next Saturday at Carroll Stadium - Indy Eleven
- Independence Go out with a Bang - Charlotte Independence
- Reno 1868 FC Clinches Second Seed in the Western Conference - Reno 1868 FC
- STLFC Season Ends with 1-0 Loss Away to North Carolina FC - Saint Louis FC
- Match Preview: #HFDvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Bethlehem Steel FC Buried by Charleston - Philadelphia Union II
- Real Monarchs SLC Clinch Home Playoff Match with 3-0 Win over Sacramento Republic FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Republic FC Downed in Utah, Play-In Game Wednesday Guaranteed - Sacramento Republic FC
- Battery Clinch Postseason Spot After Dominant Display - Charleston Battery
- How to Follow: Nashville SC vs. Atlanta United 2 - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Looking to Continue Strong Run in Playoff Tune-Up vs. Atlanta United 2 - Nashville SC
- GameDay: LouCity at Memphis 901 FC - Louisville City FC
- Phoenix Rising Caps Historic 2019 Regular Season with 3-1 Win over OKC Energy on $1 Beer Night - Phoenix Rising FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.