Phoenix Rising Caps Historic 2019 Regular Season with 3-1 Win over OKC Energy on $1 Beer Night
PHOENIX - Phoenix Rising finished its historic 2019 regular season with a 3-1 win over OKC Energy in front of a sellout crowd of 7,606 fans at Casino Arizona Field. With the win, the club now holds the USL Championship single-season record for wins (24) and points (78).
WHAT TO KNOW
Phoenix Rising now holds the USL Championship record for most wins (24) and points (78) in a single season.
Phoenix Rising also set the record for largest goal differential (+53).
Phoenix Rising sold out its 20th consecutive match at Casino Arizona Field.
Solomon Asante set the USL Championship single-season assist record (17).
Forward Adam Jahn opened the scoresheet in the 21st minute when he received a pass from forward Solomon Asante near the top of the box. With his back to the net, Jahn turned and then fired a shot around the goalkeeper and just inside the far left goal post to make it 1-0. With the assist, Asante became the USL Championship single-season assist leader (17).
Kevon Lambert doubled the lead in the 32nd minute. The midfielder capped the end of a 10-pass buildup down the field when he struck a Jon Bakero pass on his first touch and blasted it past the diving goalkeeper to find the back of the net and make it 2-0.
Rising FC took the two-goal lead into halftime and then added to it in the 69th minute. It was Jahn again, this time with an assist from defender A.J. Cochran. Bakero found Cochran near the top of the box on a corner kick and the defender headed the ball down toward Jahn, who was near the far right post. He just redirected the header into the back of the net for his brace.
OKC's Deshorn Brown pulled his team back with a 73rd-minute goal to make it 3-1 but it would be the last time Energy FC threatened in the match.
The 2019 Playoffs presented by Arizona Complete Health begins next Saturday, October 26th with the Western Conference Quarterfinals. Phoenix Rising will not know who it plays until the USL Playoffs play in matches are completed on Wednesday. Rising FC will play the lowest-seeded club that come out of the play in rounds. The match will kickoff at 7:30 p.m. and gates will open a half-hour earlier at 5:30 p.m. Fans can purchase tickets at PHXRisingFC.com.
PHOENIX RISING FC 3-1 OKC ENERGY FC
PHX: 21', 9-Adam Jahn (20-Solomon Asante)
PHX: 32', 27-Kevon Lambert (10-Jon Bakero)
PHX: 69', 9-Adam Kahn (3-AJ. Cochran)
OCK: 73', 9-Deshorn Brown (3-Kyle Hyland)
OKC: 13', 5-Christian Ibeagha (caution)
PHX: 26', 28-Zac Lubin (caution)
OKC: 50', 15-Atiba Harris (caution)
OKC: 62', 4-Callum Ross (caution)
OKC: 82', 3-Kyle Hyland (caution)
OKC: 90', 55-Mekeil Williams (caution)
Starting XI: 28-Zac Lubin; 13-Amadou Dia, 3-A.J. Cochran, 8-Corey Whelan, 24-Mustahpa Dumbuya; 27-Kevon Lambert, 19-Jose Aguinaga (85', 41-Jamess Musa), 10-Jon Bakero (74', 21-Joey Calistri); 14-Junior Flemmings (73', 14-Jason Johnson), 9-Adam Jahn, 20-Solomon Asante
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 19, 2019
- San Antonio FC Ends Season with 2-2 Home Draw vs. Colorado Springs - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC, Sporting Director Andrew Bell Part Ways - Memphis 901 FC
- Memphis 901 FC Concludes Inaugural Season - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC Fall 3-1 on the Road in Their Last Regular Season Game - Ottawa Fury FC
- Switchbacks FC Defy Odds to Complete Comeback in Season Finale - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-0 at Nashville SC - Atlanta United 2
- Rowdies to Open Playoffs in Louisville - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Closes out Inaugural USL Championship Season with 2-1 Win at the Death - Hartford Athletic
- Pickens Wins Golden Glove and Sits Atop USL Championship with 14 Clean Sheets - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Closes out Regular Season with Thrilling 1-0 Win as Captain Austin Da Luz Is Honored - North Carolina FC
- Loudoun United Defeat the New York Red Bulls II 7-3 at Segra Field - Loudoun United FC
- Nashville Moves into First Place with Win in Final Regular Season Match - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven to Host New York Red Bulls II in Postseason Opener Next Saturday at Carroll Stadium - Indy Eleven
- Independence Go out with a Bang - Charlotte Independence
- Reno 1868 FC Clinches Second Seed in the Western Conference - Reno 1868 FC
- STLFC Season Ends with 1-0 Loss Away to North Carolina FC - Saint Louis FC
- Match Preview: #HFDvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Bethlehem Steel FC Buried by Charleston - Philadelphia Union II
- Real Monarchs SLC Clinch Home Playoff Match with 3-0 Win over Sacramento Republic FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Republic FC Downed in Utah, Play-In Game Wednesday Guaranteed - Sacramento Republic FC
- Battery Clinch Postseason Spot After Dominant Display - Charleston Battery
- How to Follow: Nashville SC vs. Atlanta United 2 - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Looking to Continue Strong Run in Playoff Tune-Up vs. Atlanta United 2 - Nashville SC
- GameDay: LouCity at Memphis 901 FC - Louisville City FC
- Phoenix Rising Caps Historic 2019 Regular Season with 3-1 Win over OKC Energy on $1 Beer Night - Phoenix Rising FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Rising Advances to USL Championship Final with 4-2 Win in Penalties
- Western Conference Final Tonight vs. El Paso
- Phoenix Rising Game Notes
- Rick Schantz Resumes as Phoenix Rising FC Head Coach
- Rising Advance to Western Conference Finals with 5-4 Win in Penalties