STLFC Clinches Playoff Spot with 2-1 Win over Indy Eleven
ST. LOUIS, Mo. - Saint Louis FC won 2-1 over Indy Eleven to seal their place in the USL Playoffs in the final regular season match of club history.
Saint Louis FC scored the opening goal in the 35th minute as Tyler Blackwood latched onto a deflected clearance and calmly slotted underneath Indy goalkeeper Evan Newton for his sixth goal of the season. They would double their lead shortly after halftime as Wal Fall converted from the penalty spot following a handball in the box. Indy Eleven would score in the 82nd minute from their own penalty kick taken by Ilijia Ilic, but Saint Louis FC would hold out to claim the victory and book the club's second-ever appearance in the USL Playoffs.
The first half saw very little threatening chances for either side as the game started frantically with Saint Louis FC needing a win while Indy would have progressed to the playoffs with either a draw or win. It would be the home side to break the deadlock as Kyle Greig closed down Neveal Hackshaw and his deflected clearance fell kindly for Blackwood to run onto and coolly finish past Newton to take a 1-0 advantage into the break.
Saint Louis FC would quickly get a second goal to calm the nerves following a handball in the box and Fall would step up to convert the penalty in the 47th minute for his second goal of the season. Indy Eleven would set up a tense finale as they earned a penalty in the 82nd minute which was converted by Ilic, but they could not find the equalizer as Saint Louis FC stood resolute to claim the win and all three points to make the playoffs.
"I thought the guys left it all on the field and that's all I could ask of them," said STLFC Head Coach Steve Trittschuh. "I really had a good feeling about this game, and I've said before that if this team could make the playoffs, we have a good chance of doing something special. I don't think we're finished by far right now."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 3, 2020
- Toros Fans Bring the Energy as RGV FC Defeat OKC 4-2 at Home - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Battery Beat Rowdies 2-1 to Close Regular Season - Charleston Battery
- FC Tulsa Clinches Playoff Spot in 2-0 Victory over Colorado Springs - FC Tulsa
- Legion FC Clinches Spot in Playoffs Despite Loss at Memphis - Birmingham Legion FC
- OKC's Season Comes to End with 4-2 Defeat at RGV - OKC Energy FC
- Memphis Ends Season on High Note - Memphis 901 FC
- Late Sabella Strike Clinches Postseason Place in 1-0 Win North Carolina FC - Charlotte Independence
- Eleven's 2020 Season Ends after Loss at Saint Louis FC - Indy Eleven
- Switchbacks FC Conclude 2020 Season with Loss to FC Tulsa - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- STLFC Clinches Playoff Spot with 2-1 Win over Indy Eleven - Saint Louis FC
- LouCity Ends Regular Season on a High Note, Beating SKC II - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Close out Regular Season with Win against Philadelphia - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Pittsburgh Gets Better of Union II - Philadelphia Union II
- North Carolina FC Fall to the Charlotte Independence to Close out 2020 Season - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview: Tacoma Defiance vs. Reno 1868 FC - October 3, 2020 - Tacoma Defiance
- Rising Release Joint Statement with San Diego Loyal - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs the Miami FC - Atlanta United 2
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - October 3, 2020 - USL
- Game Day: Follow Along with LouCity-Sporting KC II - Louisville City FC
- In Their Own Words: "We've Got to Show up and Do What We Need to Do." - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.