Sunday Stunner - Tourists Walk off in the Bottom of the Ninth
ASHEVILLE - With the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, Casey Golden was at the plate with an 0-2 count. The next pitch traveled too far inside and hit Casey on the arm. Tyler Bugner jogged home from third, stepped on home plate, and gave the Tourists an 11-10 win over the Columbia Fireflies.
The story of this game was how we arrived at that point. Asheville took a 2-0 lead in the first inning on RBI base hits from Sean Bouchard and Todd Czinege. Columbia returned the favor with a trio of two-run Home Runs to take a 6-2 lead. After the Tourists cut the lead to 6-3 in the sixth inning on Jeff Moberg's sacrifice fly, the Fireflies hit their fourth two-run Home Run of the game in the top of the seventh.
Trailing 8-3 entering the bottom of the seventh inning, the Tourists took advantage of some shaky Fireflies defense and put together timely hits to start chipping away. Golden lined an RBI single to left field, Czinege hit an RBI single to left, and Matt McLaughlin launched a two-run double to make the score 8-7.
In the top of the eighth, the Fireflies went to their favorite offensive play - the two-run Homer. That made it 10-7 and took a bit of momentum from the Tourists. However, Asheville jumped right back into the game with three more runs in the bottom half. Bouchard hit a two-run double and Czinege's sacrifice fly tied the game.
Tommy Doyle held the Fireflies scoreless in the top of the ninth. Asheville used an error, a hit by pitch, and a walk to load the bases in the bottom of the ninth to set the table for their fifth walk-off win of the season. The Tourists now have four wins this year where they have trailed by at least five runs at one point during the game.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 5, 2018
- 'Dogs Nudge Past 'Birds for Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Break Seventh Inning Tie to Force Series Split with Shorebirds - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Notch 19 Hits in Sunday's Win over Braves - Greenville Drive
- Hill Throws Complete Game Shutout as Suns Split DH with Hickory - Hagerstown Suns
- Hernandez Posts Three-Hit Day as Power Drops Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- Sunday Stunner - Tourists Walk off in the Bottom of the Ninth - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Smash Franchise-Record Five Homers - Columbia Fireflies
- Gudino Dominates in Mountain State - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Split Series with 5-1 Victory over Blueclaws - Lexington Legends
- Legends Top Claws, Teams Split Series - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 5 at Asheville (Game 109) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 5) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.