Legends Top Claws, Teams Split Series
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Lexington topped the BlueClaws 5-1 on Sunday at FirstEnergy Park as the teams split their four-game series at the Shore.
The BlueClaws (29-14/70-42) were bidding to get to 30 games over .500 for the first time since 2006, but fell short as Lexington (23-19/60-50), who had won the first game before Lakewood swept a Saturday double-header, took the series finale.
Lakewood opened the scoring in the fifth inning when Matt Vierling brought home Dalton Guthrieon an infield single. Guthrie had reached on an error on left fielder Manny Olloque to start the inning.
Lexington tied the game in the sixth on a SAC fly from MJ Melendez with the bases loaded and one out.
Garcia came out after six, allowing one run on four hits. Legends starter Daniel Lynch gave up one unearned run over five innings. Neither starter factored in the decision.
Lexington took the lead off Luis Cedeno in the seventh inning, with a Cal Jones SAC fly brining home Jeison Guzman with the go-ahead run.
Cedeno (3-3) took the loss while Janser Lara (3-3) earned the win. Garrett Suchey got the last six outs for his first save.
The Legends added three runs in the ninth off Ismael Cabrera.
Matt Vierling had three hits for Lakewood while Madison Stokes added two.
The BlueClaws are off Monday and open a series at Charleston on Tuesday night at 7:05 pm.
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Julian Garcia
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 5, 2018
- 'Dogs Nudge Past 'Birds for Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Break Seventh Inning Tie to Force Series Split with Shorebirds - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Notch 19 Hits in Sunday's Win over Braves - Greenville Drive
- Hill Throws Complete Game Shutout as Suns Split DH with Hickory - Hagerstown Suns
- Hernandez Posts Three-Hit Day as Power Drops Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- Sunday Stunner - Tourists Walk off in the Bottom of the Ninth - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Smash Franchise-Record Five Homers - Columbia Fireflies
- Gudino Dominates in Mountain State - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Split Series with 5-1 Victory over Blueclaws - Lexington Legends
- Legends Top Claws, Teams Split Series - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 5 at Asheville (Game 109) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 5) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Garcia Fans 11 But Claws Drop Opener to Lexington
- Balanced Attack Gives BlueClaws Fifth Straight Win as Claws Topple Rome
- Walk-Off Claws Win Again, 5-4 over Rome on Thursday
- Maton's Grand Slam Keys BlueClaws 7-2 Wednesday Win
- Garcia, Two Relievers Combine on BlueClaws 23rd Shutout of Season