Fireflies Smash Franchise-Record Five Homers
ASHEVILLE, NC - Columbia mashed a franchise-record five homers on Sunday but fell to Asheville in an offensive slugfest, 11-10. The two teams combined for 21 runs and 20 hits in the finale at McCormick Field.
The Tourists won in walk-off fashion. With the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Casey Golden was hit by a pitch, bringing in the winning run from third base.
Columbia (17-25, 51-58) had drilled four homers in a game just twice before in franchise history. The Fireflies had tallied four long balls by the seventh inning on Sunday. Jose Brizuela golfed the fifth over the right-field wall in the eighth inning. Brizuela and Matt Winaker both went yard twice and became the fourth and fifth Fireflies to notch a two-homer game this season (joining Dionis Paulino, Jeremy Vasquez and Quinn Brodey).
Winaker finished with three hits on Sunday and nine hits in the four-game series. The lefty went 9-for-18 at the dish in Asheville (22-20, 49-62) with three doubles, two homers and 6 RBI. Winaker's on-base streak is now 17 games long.
Brizuela and Paulino both finished with a pair of hits in the game. Columbia was bested, though, by a Tourists offense that bounced back from deficits of 6-2, 8-3 and 10-7.
Tommy Doyle (W, 7-5) picked up the win for Asheville and Joshua Payne (L, 4-3) was handed the loss for Columbia.
BOTTOM 1 - Sean Bouchard doubles in a run ... Todd Czinege drives in Bouchard with a double. ASH 2, COL 0
TOP 2 - Dionis Paulino blasts two-run homer. COL 2, ASH 2
TOP 3 - Matt Winaker drills two-run homer ... Jose Brizuela goes yard, a two-run dinger as well. COL 6, ASH 2
BOTTOM 6 - Jeff Moberg drives in Czinege with a sac fly. COL 6, ASH 3
TOP 7 - Winaker goes deep again, another two-run bomb. COL 8, ASH 3
BOTTOM 7 - Casey Golden scores Matt Hearn on a single ... Czinege singles and scores Vilade ... two runs score on Matt McLaughlin's double. COL 8, ASH 7
TOP 8 - Brizuela whacks his second two-run home run. COL 10, ASH 7
BOTTOM 8 - Bouchard doubles in two ... Czinege scores Bouchard from third on a sac fly. COL 10, ASH 10
BOTTOM 9 - Casey Golden hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Scores Tyler Bugner. ASH 11, COL 10
The Fireflies are off on Monday but return to action against the Greenville Drive on Tuesday. That series opener begins at 7:05 ET at Spirit Communications Park. Right-hander Tony Dibrell (4-5, 3.16) is scheduled to throw on Tuesday against Greenville.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 5, 2018
- 'Dogs Nudge Past 'Birds for Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Break Seventh Inning Tie to Force Series Split with Shorebirds - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Notch 19 Hits in Sunday's Win over Braves - Greenville Drive
- Hill Throws Complete Game Shutout as Suns Split DH with Hickory - Hagerstown Suns
- Hernandez Posts Three-Hit Day as Power Drops Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- Sunday Stunner - Tourists Walk off in the Bottom of the Ninth - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Smash Franchise-Record Five Homers - Columbia Fireflies
- Gudino Dominates in Mountain State - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Split Series with 5-1 Victory over Blueclaws - Lexington Legends
- Legends Top Claws, Teams Split Series - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 5 at Asheville (Game 109) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 5) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Dirocie Goes Yard, Columbia Drops Pair of One-Run Games
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 20 Doubleheader vs. Hickory (Games 15 & 16)
- Rain Postpones Friday's Game against Hickory
- Fireflies Game Notes - April 19 vs. Hickory (Game 15)
- Rasquin Leads Chicharrones to First Walk-Off Win