Legends Split Series with 5-1 Victory over Blueclaws
FIRSTENERGY PARK (Lakewood, NJ) - The Lexington Legends took the series with a 5-1 victory over the Lakewood Blueclaws. The Legends remain in first place of the Southern Division of the South Atlantic League, but now share the top spot with the Greenville Drive.
The Blueclaws plated their first run in the bottom of the fifth inning. Dalton Guthrie hit a line drive to left fielder, Marten Gasparini, who committed a fielding error, allowing Guthrie to reach second base. Jose Antequera then moved Guthrie to third base on a sacrifice bunt. Matt Vierling singled home Guthrie and Lakewood led 1-0.
The Legends answered in the top of the sixth inning. Ricky Aracena lined a single back to the pitcher, Julian Garcia then Kyle Isbel drew a walk. Cristian Perez loaded the bases with a bunt single. MJ Melendez then popped up a sacrifice fly to right field, allowing Aracena to score and the game was tied 1-1.
Lexington took the lead for the first time in the top of the seventh inning. Jeison Guzman drew a leadoff walk then swiped second base. With Cal Jones at the plate, Lakewood's pitcher committed a throwing error, allowing Guzman to reach third. Jones then hit a sacrifice fly to center field, plating Guzman and the Legends led 2-1.
The Legends continued to score in the top of the ninth inning. Manny Olloque blasted a solo homer to left field. Guzman then doubled to left field and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Jones then grounded out to the shortstop, allowing Guzman to score, extending Lexington's lead 4-1. Carlos Diaz then singled to right field and moved to second on a fielding error by Lakewood's right fielder. Aracena then smacked an RBI single to left field and the Legends held onto the 5-1 victory.
Janser Lara earned the win for the Legends tossing 2.0 scoreless innings allowing one hit while walking one and striking out two. Luis Cedeno was given the loss for the Blueclaws pitching 2.0 hitless innings allowing one run (unearned) while walking one and striking out three.
The Legends have a scheduled off day tomorrow, August 6 then are back in action at Whitaker Bank Ballpark on August 7 at 7:05 p.m. facing the Asheville Tourists.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Ricky Aracena of the Lexington Legends
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 5, 2018
- 'Dogs Nudge Past 'Birds for Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Break Seventh Inning Tie to Force Series Split with Shorebirds - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Notch 19 Hits in Sunday's Win over Braves - Greenville Drive
- Hill Throws Complete Game Shutout as Suns Split DH with Hickory - Hagerstown Suns
- Hernandez Posts Three-Hit Day as Power Drops Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- Sunday Stunner - Tourists Walk off in the Bottom of the Ninth - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Smash Franchise-Record Five Homers - Columbia Fireflies
- Gudino Dominates in Mountain State - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Split Series with 5-1 Victory over Blueclaws - Lexington Legends
- Legends Top Claws, Teams Split Series - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 5 at Asheville (Game 109) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 5) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Clinch Back-To-Back South Atlantic League Championships with Late Inning Theatrics
- Hickory Hands Lexington First Playoff Loss
- Legends Headed Back to SAL Championship Series
- Lexington's Emma Tiedemann Named SAL Media Relations Director of the Year
- Lexington Powers Down West Virginia with Doubleheader Sweep