Drive Notch 19 Hits in Sunday's Win over Braves
Greenville, SC - For the second day in a row, the Greenville Drive offense was in full force, as they produced a season-high 19 hits in a 9-2 defeat of the Rome Braves on Sunday afternoon at Fluor Field.
With the win, Greenville (24-20, 49-64) keeps pace with the Lexington Legends atop the second-half Southern Division standings.
The Drive's 19-hit attack was paced by a 5-for-5 day from Jarren Duran, and a two-homer day from Tanner Nishioka, who notched three hits and three RBI.
The Drive struck early with a run in each of the two opening innings. Ryan Fitzgerald hit an RBI single in the bottom of the first, while Nishioka belted a 411-foot solo homer to right-center in the second.
Rome (19-23, 59-52) scratched back within one in the third after Justin Dean tripled off Enmanuel De Jesus to open the inning and later scored on a RBI groundout from Greyson Jenista.
Dean, a Mauldin native, went 3-4 at the plate atop the Braves lineup.
Coming off a complete game shutout on Tuesday, De Jesus (6-3) gave the Drive another solid effort over six innings. He scattered eight hits, which only materialized into two runs, while striking out five batters to pick up the win.
Greenville scored on a Braves error in the fourth, but Rome took the run right back in the fifth after Jefrey Ramos doubled home Jenista.
The Drive did most of its damage in a five-run sixth inning that featured a two-run triple from Marino Campana, an RBI single from Zach Sterry and a two-run home run from Nishioka, his second of the afternoon and seventh of the season.
Marcos Lantigua pitched two scoreless innings in relief for the Drive, and Austin Glorius followed with a scoreless ninth in his 2018 Greenville debut.
After Monday's off day, the Drive will travel down to Columbia on Tuesday to begin a three-game series with the Columbia Fireflies, a New York Mets affiliate. Drive left-hander Jhonathan Diaz (7-7, 3.45) is scheduled to take the mound against Fireflies right-hander Tony Dibrell (4-5, 3.16), with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 5, 2018
- 'Dogs Nudge Past 'Birds for Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Break Seventh Inning Tie to Force Series Split with Shorebirds - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Notch 19 Hits in Sunday's Win over Braves - Greenville Drive
- Hill Throws Complete Game Shutout as Suns Split DH with Hickory - Hagerstown Suns
- Hernandez Posts Three-Hit Day as Power Drops Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- Sunday Stunner - Tourists Walk off in the Bottom of the Ninth - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Smash Franchise-Record Five Homers - Columbia Fireflies
- Gudino Dominates in Mountain State - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Split Series with 5-1 Victory over Blueclaws - Lexington Legends
- Legends Top Claws, Teams Split Series - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 5 at Asheville (Game 109) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 5) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.