'Dogs Nudge Past 'Birds for Split
SALISBURY, MD - The Delmarva Shorebirds couldn't pull off a series win over the Charleston RiverDogs, settling for a four-game split with a 4-2 loss on Sunday evening at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
With the game tied 2-2 in the top of the seventh, Wilkerman Garcia laced a one-out triple to right field. Oswaldo Cabrera came up next and tapped a routine grounder back to the monud, but Tim Naughton's throw to first sailed high, and Garcia scored to put the RiverDogs (19-23, 52-58) back on top. Cabrera raced to second on the error, and Jason Lopez scooted a grounder through the right side moments later for an RBI single to make it 4-2.
The Shorebirds (21-21, 56-53) got the tying runs on base with two out in the bottom of the ninth, but Ben Breazeale rolled out to second to bring it to an end.
Reiver Sanmartin (2-4) earned the win with a Quality Start for the RiverDogs, allowing two runs (one earned) on six hits over six innings, walking none and striking out four. Naughton (2-4) endured the loss in relief for the Shorebirds, surrendering two runs (one earned) on four hits over three innings. Austin DeCarr earned a hold with 2.2 scoreless innings in relief, and Carlos Espinal came in to throw two pitches and get the final out for his first save.
Charleston broke the ice in the top of the second. Chris Hess got hit by a pitch and Carlos Vidal walked to put two men on. After a sac bunt, Eduardo Navas lifted one deep enough to left to score Hess and put the RiverDogs up 1-0. The visitors put one more across in the third as Welfrin Mateo doubled, Garcia beat out a bunt single, and Cabrera singled to center to plate Mateo.
Delmarva peeled one back in the bottom of the fourth. Mason McCoy led off with a double, and Trevor Craport snuck a single past short to move him up to third. Jean Carlos Encarnacion then chopped one to second and legged out a fielder's choice, scoring McCoy to make it 2-1 Charleston.
McCoy led off the sixth by reaching on an error at third base, and two batters later Encarnacion pelted a hit-and-run line drive to left to put men on the corners. Seamus Curran came up next and shot a grounder up the middle for a game-tying single. The Shorebirds were unable to push anything else across the plate, and the RiverDogs took control right back in the seventh.
McCoy finished 1-for-4 with a double and both Shorebird runs. Encarnacion picked up his first RBI as a Shorebird, and Curran plated his fourth run in the past two games.
Mateo and Garcia each went 2-for-5 with a three combined extra-base hits and one run each in the one- and two-holes for the RiverDogs. Navas finished 1-for-2 with a sac fly and walk in his return to action.
Delmarva starter Brenan Hanifee lasted five innings in a no-decision, giving up two runs on five hits over five innings while walking one and striking out two.
After an off day on Monday, the Shorebirds open a seven-game road swing on Tuesday with the first of three at the Rome Braves. Jhon Peluffo (3-6, 6.29) opens the series for Delmarva against Rome's Freddy Tarmok (4-2, 3.54). First pitch is set for 7:00 p.m., and pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 6:45 with Will DeBoer on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 5, 2018
- 'Dogs Nudge Past 'Birds for Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Break Seventh Inning Tie to Force Series Split with Shorebirds - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Notch 19 Hits in Sunday's Win over Braves - Greenville Drive
- Hill Throws Complete Game Shutout as Suns Split DH with Hickory - Hagerstown Suns
- Hernandez Posts Three-Hit Day as Power Drops Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- Sunday Stunner - Tourists Walk off in the Bottom of the Ninth - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Smash Franchise-Record Five Homers - Columbia Fireflies
- Gudino Dominates in Mountain State - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Split Series with 5-1 Victory over Blueclaws - Lexington Legends
- Legends Top Claws, Teams Split Series - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 5 at Asheville (Game 109) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 5) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.