Hernandez Posts Three-Hit Day as Power Drops Series Finale
CHARLESTON, W.V. - Raul Hernandez collected three of West Virginia's five hits on the afternoon, but the Power bats were silenced by the Augusta GreenJackets, dropping the series finale, 5-1, at Appalachian Power Park.
Hunter Stratton (4-5) continued West Virginia's stretch of solid pitching. He tossed five innings and allowed two runs on four hits while striking out two. Over their last eight games, the Power's starting staff has posted a 1.57 ERA (8 ER/46 IP).
Hernandez continued to provide an offensive spark for West Virginia (19-23, 56-52), finishing the day with a pair of singles and a double.
The Power scored their only run of the game in the ninth. Deon Stafford walked with one out in the inning before Hernandez singled and Jesse Medrano walked to load the bases. Then, Ryan Peurifoy worked a walk, scoring Stafford to cut Augusta's lead to 5-1 and keep the bases loaded with two down. Ben Bengtson then struck out against Keenan Bartlett (S, 1) to end the game.
Augusta (17-25, 54-56) took the lead for good in the second inning. Manuel Geraldo singled to start the frame before Jacob Gonzalez roped a double down the left-field line to score him. Logan Baldwin extended Augusta's lead to 2-0 with a two-out single to right field, plating Gonzalez from second.
Ryan Kirby pushed Augusta's lead to 3-0 in the eighth with an RBI single before Baldwin launched a two-run bomb in the ninth to make it 5-0 GreenJackets.
Stratton was bested by Augusta starter Norwith Gudino (1-0), who shut down West Virginia, allowing five hits over 6.1 scoreless innings.
Following a league-wide off day tomorrow, West Virginia travels to Greensboro, North Carolina, to take on the Grasshoppers Tuesday evening at First National Bank Field, with first pitch set for 7 p.m. Righty Sergio Cubilete (3-4, 4.85 ERA) takes the hill for the Power, while Greensboro has yet to announce its starter. Pregame coverage begins at 6:40 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at www.wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The Power returns home Wednesday, August 15, for the start of a seven-game homestand against the Columbia Fireflies and Charleston River Dogs. The homestand begins with Pets in the Park Night August 15 and ends with a Rock 105 Two for Tuesday August 21. The home stretch is highlighted with a Trevor Hoffman figurine giveaway as a part of the Power's Wheelers Weekend celebration August 18. The first 1,000 fans will receive the figurine, courtesy of Charleston Building and Construction Trades Council. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 5, 2018
- 'Dogs Nudge Past 'Birds for Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Break Seventh Inning Tie to Force Series Split with Shorebirds - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Notch 19 Hits in Sunday's Win over Braves - Greenville Drive
- Hill Throws Complete Game Shutout as Suns Split DH with Hickory - Hagerstown Suns
- Hernandez Posts Three-Hit Day as Power Drops Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- Sunday Stunner - Tourists Walk off in the Bottom of the Ninth - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Smash Franchise-Record Five Homers - Columbia Fireflies
- Gudino Dominates in Mountain State - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Split Series with 5-1 Victory over Blueclaws - Lexington Legends
- Legends Top Claws, Teams Split Series - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 5 at Asheville (Game 109) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 5) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.