Streaking Miners Surge Past Boomers
MARION, IL - The surging Southern Illinois Miners handed the Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, a season high seventh consecutive defeat with a 6-3 win, the ninth in a row for the Miners in the opener of a weekend road series on Friday night.
Following a rain delay of nearly an hour, the Miners strung together three consecutive two-out hits to open a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second. Southern Illinois added another run in the third to move in front 3-0. The Boomers battled to within 3-2 in the top of the fourth. Matt Rose doubled and scored with two outs on a double from Quincy Nieporte. Nick Oddo followed by adding a sharp RBI single. Southern Illinois quickly put three more on the board in the bottom of the inning to regain control.
Aaron Rozek suffered the loss, working seven innings on the mound and allowing six runs on 11 hits, both season highs. Schaumburg finished with seven hits, four of which were doubles. Nieporte and Rose both finished with two hits in the defeat.
The Boomers (38-38) continue the series on Saturday night at 6:05 p.m. with RHP Matt Miller (3-4, 4.18) on the hill. Just six home games remain on the schedule this season. Visit boomersbaseball.com for tickets and information or call 847-461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Miners Beat Schaumburg for Ninth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies' Four Homers Snap Skid - Gateway Grizzlies
- Streaking Miners Surge Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers hold Slammers to three hits in 5-1 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Winning Streak Snaps as Freedom Fall in O'Fallon - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Take Opener over Freedom - River City Rascals
- Otters Come up One Run Short of Wild Things - Evansville Otters
- Big First Inning Not Enough for ThunderBolts in Loss at Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wegmann Chucks Eight Strong in Victory - Washington Wild Things
- Johnathon Tripp Taking Talent to Cincinnati - Florence Y'alls
- Crushers Swept for the First Time this Season - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Pounce Early to Win Eighth Straight Game - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Swept by Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.