Grizzlies' Four Homers Snap Skid
SAUGET, Ill. - Four different Gateway Grizzlies hit home runs Friday and the Grizzlies snapped a five-game losing streak in an 8-4 win over the Windy City ThunderBolts at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (32-43) fell behind 3-0 in the first inning, but immediately answered with three runs in the second. Gunnar Buhner crushed his second home run of the season to left-center field - a two-run shot that cut the deficit to 3-2 and extended Buhner's hitting streak to seven games. Connor Owings followed with a later RBI single to score Anthony Ray and tie the game.
The Grizzlies added another run on a leadoff solo homer from Dustin Woodcock in the third, then two additional runs apiece in the fourth and fifth innings on home runs by Owings and Shawon Dunston Jr.
Woodcock's blast was his eighth of the year and tied him with Luke Lowery for the team lead. Owings' was his seventh round-tripper and Dunston's was his sixth.
Chris Carden (7-2) bounced back from the three runs (all earned) allowed in the first inning and did not allow any subsequent tallies over his remaining six innings of work. In total, he struck out seven batters across seven innings and moved into a tie for the Frontier League lead with his seventh victory of 2019.
Windy City (31-45) did not score again until the eighth on a leadoff solo home run from Micah Coffey. Grizzlies reliever Patrick Boyle took revenge on the next three ThunderBolts he faced with back-to-back-to-back strikeouts.
Lucas Lanphere struck out a pair in a perfect ninth inning.
Gateway and Windy City will continue their three-game series Saturday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Miners Beat Schaumburg for Ninth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies' Four Homers Snap Skid - Gateway Grizzlies
- Streaking Miners Surge Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers hold Slammers to three hits in 5-1 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Winning Streak Snaps as Freedom Fall in O'Fallon - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Take Opener over Freedom - River City Rascals
- Otters Come up One Run Short of Wild Things - Evansville Otters
- Big First Inning Not Enough for ThunderBolts in Loss at Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wegmann Chucks Eight Strong in Victory - Washington Wild Things
- Johnathon Tripp Taking Talent to Cincinnati - Florence Y'alls
- Crushers Swept for the First Time this Season - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Pounce Early to Win Eighth Straight Game - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Swept by Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.