Johnathon Tripp Taking Talent to Cincinnati
O'FALLON, Mo - After completing nearly two seasons of dominance in the Frontier League, Florence hurler, Johnathon Tripp, becomes the fifth Freedom player to sign an affiliated contract in 2019, the two-time All-Star to start his ascent in the Cincinnati Reds organization.
Tripp, 25, had just transitioned from being a closer, to an integral part of the Freedom five-man rotation. The power right-hander made the transition seamlessly, allowing just one run on six hits over two starts, spanning eleven total innings. In what became the last appearance for Tripp (4-3, 1.06) in a Freedom uniform, the Spring, TX native went six one-hit, shut-out innings en route to a, 2-0, victory over the Washington Wild Things at UC Health Stadium on August 4.
As a closer, Tripp was a two-time All-Star, racking up 28 career saves during his reign as the bullpen hammer. In 2018, Tripp totaled a 2.70 ERA in 43.1 innings (38 appearances), fanning 55 batters while walking 15 on his way to 15 saves.
This season, the former Texas Tech Red Raider made thirteen appearances and spanned 16.2 innings before allowing his first earned run, snapping his streak in the final game before the All-Star break. When all was said and done, the righty earned 13 saves and totaled a 1.06 ERA in 42.1 innings of work, sporting a (4-3) record at the time of his signing. Tripp struck out 41 batters this season, walking only ten.
Foreshadowing the transition that would come in the second-half of the season, the newest member of the Cincinnati Reds organization, Tripp, got the start in the 2019 Mid-Summer Classic in Rockland County, New York. The hurler overpowered the All-Stars of the Can-Am League, whiffing the side in his lone frame.
"About time!" Exclaimed Freedom manager, Dennis Pelfrey, he continued. "Tripp has dominated a very good Frontier League for almost 2 years. He has earned the opportunity with his maturity and pitch-ability We are excited for him and his family. Looking forward to him climbing the ranks of affiliated ball."
After sending four guys to the next level in 2017 and 2018, the Freedom have now sent five players to Major League Baseball affiliates in 2019, a franchise-best under fifth-year skipper, Pelfrey. Tripp will join former Freedom teammate, Tyler Gibson in the Reds organization, and is the 45th Freedom alumni to earn a MiLB contract.
The Florence Freedom are members of the Independent Frontier League and play all home games at UC Health Stadium located at 7950 Freedom Way in Florence, KY. The Freedom can be found online at florencefreedom.com, or by phone at (859) 594-4487.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Miners Beat Schaumburg for Ninth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies' Four Homers Snap Skid - Gateway Grizzlies
- Streaking Miners Surge Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers hold Slammers to three hits in 5-1 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Winning Streak Snaps as Freedom Fall in O'Fallon - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Take Opener over Freedom - River City Rascals
- Otters Come up One Run Short of Wild Things - Evansville Otters
- Big First Inning Not Enough for ThunderBolts in Loss at Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wegmann Chucks Eight Strong in Victory - Washington Wild Things
- Johnathon Tripp Taking Talent to Cincinnati - Florence Y'alls
- Crushers Swept for the First Time this Season - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Pounce Early to Win Eighth Straight Game - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Swept by Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.