Rascals Take Opener over Freedom
O'FALLON, Mo. - The River City Rascals defeated the Florence Freedom 8-4 in their series opener on Friday night at CarShield Field. Braxton Martinez led the charge with a home run and five total RBIs in the victory.
Martinez got the scoring started with a two-run shot in the top of the first, followed immediately by a home run from Trevor Achenbach. Martinez made it 4-0 Rascals with an RBI single in the second. The Freedom slowly chipped away, getting a two-run blast from Taylor Bryant in the top of the third, while Austin Wobrock and Caleb Lopes provided solo shots in the seventh and eight innings, respectively, to tie the game 4-4.
LJ Kalawaia put the Rascals back on the top with a go-ahead, two-run double in the bottom of the eighth, which was followed by a two-run single from Martinez to make it 8-4.
Rascals starter Brendan Feldmann took a no-decision, allowing two runs over six innings with five strikeouts. Reliever Andrew Vernon (3-1) earned the win. Freedom starter Mike Castellani allowed four runs over seven innings, while Ryan Mordecai (3-2) took the loss.
The Rascals (43-34) and Freedom (48-30) play the middle game of their series tomorrow night, with first pitch scheduled for 6:35 p.m. CDT from CarShield Field. Alex Winkelman is expected to take the mound for the Rascals.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Miners Beat Schaumburg for Ninth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies' Four Homers Snap Skid - Gateway Grizzlies
- Streaking Miners Surge Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers hold Slammers to three hits in 5-1 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Winning Streak Snaps as Freedom Fall in O'Fallon - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Take Opener over Freedom - River City Rascals
- Otters Come up One Run Short of Wild Things - Evansville Otters
- Big First Inning Not Enough for ThunderBolts in Loss at Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wegmann Chucks Eight Strong in Victory - Washington Wild Things
- Johnathon Tripp Taking Talent to Cincinnati - Florence Y'alls
- Crushers Swept for the First Time this Season - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Pounce Early to Win Eighth Straight Game - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Swept by Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.