Grizzlies Swept by Miners
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies fell into a 7-0 hole in the third inning Thursday and never recovered in a 9-4 loss to the Southern Illinois Miners at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (31-43) lost its fifth straight game.
Southern Illinois (42-33) won its eighth game in a row and swept a four-game series for only the second time in its franchise history.
The Miners scored four runs in the first inning, another in the second, and two more in the third. Six different Miners had multiple hits.
Five Grizzlies had multi-hit performances, but they left the bases loaded in the fifth and sixth innings and stranded 11 total runners. They collected 14 hits - only one fewer than the Miners' 15 - but the big hits were elusive.
Dominic Topoozian (5-5) took the loss with eight runs (six earned) allowed over six innings. He struck out five.
Anthony Ray went 3-for-4 with a double, an RBI, and a run scored. Zak Taylor added three singles. Matt Brown drove in two runs with a third-inning double.
Gateway will open a three-game series Friday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch against the Windy City ThunderBolts.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Miners Beat Schaumburg for Ninth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies' Four Homers Snap Skid - Gateway Grizzlies
- Streaking Miners Surge Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers hold Slammers to three hits in 5-1 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Winning Streak Snaps as Freedom Fall in O'Fallon - Florence Freedom
- Rascals Take Opener over Freedom - River City Rascals
- Otters Come up One Run Short of Wild Things - Evansville Otters
- Big First Inning Not Enough for ThunderBolts in Loss at Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wegmann Chucks Eight Strong in Victory - Washington Wild Things
- Johnathon Tripp Taking Talent to Cincinnati - Florence Freedom
- Crushers Swept for the First Time this Season - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Pounce Early to Win Eighth Straight Game - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Swept by Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.