Stingrays Finish Strong to Defeat IceMen
The Icemen entered the third period with a good chance to snap a two-game losing streak, but a three-goal third period propelled the Stingrays to a 6-3 win over Jacksonville.
Both teams entered this afternoon's game on tired legs, having played the previous two nights. However, that didn't stop Jacksonville from getting a quick start in the first period. Cameron Critchlow connected first for his 12th goal of the season, snapping a seven-game scoreless drought for the forward. South Carolina wouldn't take long to tie the game, as Steven Whitney sent Kelly Zajac a nice feed and he skated in all by himself and beat Austin Lotz on the power play. Towards the end of the frame, Mike Chen fired a shot from above the slot and Whitney managed to deflect the puck past Lotz for the Stingrays' first lead of the game.
Near the halfway point in the second, the Icemen would earn their first power-play opportunity of the game. Tim Daly fired a shot from the blue line that produced a juicy rebound, and Matt Ustaski was right in front of Jeff Jakaitis to quickly pounce on the loose puck and tie the game at two. The goal was Ustaski's first professionaly and was Jacksonville's first goal on the man advantage in three games. Just over a minute later, Dajon Mingo and Jimmy Lodge played pitch and catch with the puck before Mingo sent the puck past a diving Jakaitis for the second Icemen lead of the game. Late in the second, the Stingrays would get a long 5-on-3 man advantage, and Joe Devin wouldn't miss an opportunity from the slot and tied the game at three.
Throughout most of the third period, the Icemen had several quality scoring chances, but were unable to find the back of the net to break the deadlock. With under four minutes to play, Leo Fitzgerald found Kelly Zajac charging the post and Zajac snuck the puck past Lotz for the game-winning goal. Almost two minutes later, the roles were reversed and Zajac found Fitzgerald for his first professional goal to give South Carolina a comfortable two-goal lead. Taylor Cammarata sealed the deal with an empty-net goal to give the Stingrays the 6-3 win.
Next up, the Icemen travel to Atlanta for two games against the Gladiators on Thursday, March 15 and Saturday, March 17. Don't miss out when the Icemen return home for their next game at Veterans Memorial Arena on Friday, March 30 at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 11, 2018
- Cyclones Tame Beast - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Balanced Attack Gives Thunder Win in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Wings Beat Komets, Move Back into Top Four - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kerbashian Buries Swamp Rabbits in OT to Lift Solar Bears to 3-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rush Fall to Eagles in Final Showdown - Rapid City Rush
- Eagles Clinch Playoff Spot with 6-1 Win over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Oilers Suffer Setback against Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Penalty Costs Swamp Rabbits a Win in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Topple Admirals, 4-3, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- Rays Score Four Unanswered to Bury IceMen - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Win Wild 12 Round Shootout with 3-2 Victory over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Stingrays Finish Strong to Defeat IceMen - Jacksonville IceMen
- Thunder Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Shootout in Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Collect Point, Fall 4-3 in OT to Monarchs - Norfolk Admirals
- Beast Drop Close Decision to Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Blackhawks Reassign Matheson Iacopelli to Rockford - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 11 - ECHL
- Stingrays Ink Tyler Whitney to PTO, Jakaitis Returns - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Greenville Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Three Return from Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Look for Rebound against Solar Bears - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Take on Stingrays in South Carolina - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Three-In-Three Concludes in Manchester - Norfolk Admirals
- McParland Caps Two-Goal Night with OT Winner against Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 11 - Manchester Monarchs
- Rochester Reassigns Three - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies Ten-Game Unbeaten Streak Snapped by Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Thump Swamp Rabbits 7-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Win Fifth in a Row, Sweep Weekend in Utah - Allen Americans
- Rush Fall in Narrow Game - Rapid City Rush
- Colorado Collects Two Points in 2-1 Victory at Rapid City - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.